Why can my daughter wipe her own butt everywhere else: except at home??

She is six, a first grader, wipes herself at school, at the grocery store, at friends houses, at gramma n granpas....but when she is home: there is NO WAY she will do it herself. Ive made her "sit it out" until she did it herself: but that just turns into a SCREAMING fit! Any suggestions????

SylviasMommy

Asked by SylviasMommy at 2:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is a control and "I want mommy to do it" thing. It will pass I promise. I've been there and done the butt wipe too!
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Because she knows you will do it and she gets away with it.
    Anonymous

• My 6 year old too! We just let her sit on the toilet and call us, we'll warn her the first time she calls that we aren't coming she can wipe herself, after a few minutes she gives up and finally does it. At least now we are at the point where she only tries to call me in every 3 or 4 days. I feel like it's almost over now (except I have a 4 year old that needs to be wiping his own butt soon too).
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• She's doing it because you allow her to get away with it.. Let her throw a fit, hell let her sit in the bathroom all day and night if that's what it takes. There is no reason she can do it other places but not at home.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• She doesn't do it just to me. She does it with my mom, and my gramma. So, its not a control thing.
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 3:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• It is a control thing. If she only does this at home, then what else can it be other than control? Regardless of whether she does it with just you or others fact is she is only doing it at home and probably only does it because she knows if she wants you or someone else to do it then you will do it. Stop doing it and she will stop.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2009