When you are sick how do you handle having a special needs child

HI and I wont answers if possible fast I caught a cold started late Friday afternoon
with a sore throat my daughter is 16 born with trismony 21 downes's syndrome okay yes I do have family but my sister works 2 jobs her day job she has days off
her night job tuesdays @Sturdays so she has her hands full well I had a rough Friday afternoon she just wanted to eat and eat today is starting to be Friday.

I took some cough medcine earlier this morning and I know I did not sleep enough
to get it out my system I have tried and tried to sleep if she is woke cant you have to
watch my daughter she is quite and sneaky and when it comes to food I do not know
one afternoon after school she goes into the oven get her chicken nuggts God was with her she did not get burned so see how misberable I am when I am sick and the
thought tomorrow is a school morning please please help me

blessed2877

Asked by blessed2877 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Unfortunately it sucks but is part of being a mom.. You just have to find meds that won't make you sleepy for one and two you just kinda have to work through your sickness if you don't have people around to help.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I don't have any experience with being ill and having to care for children with special needs. But what I do is have a "movie" day. Let your child pick out a favorite movie and just snuggle on the couch under some warm blanket with a special treat that you don't always allow. Like, oatmeal and raisin cookies with milk. Gate-in the room if you can and just relax on the couch or floor while your little one runs and plays around a baby-proof room. I have chronic insomnia so sometimes it is necessary for me to bring my blanket and pillow into my son's bedroom and close the door. I know he's safe and won't get harmed if I accidentally doze off.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 3:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• 16... not 16 months old. Ok, that may be a bit more challenging. If she will sit long enough to watch t.v. or movies with you, then that's an option. Maybe board games or a puzzle?
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 3:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Have you applied for Respite through your state?
    Anonymous

• If she's 16 years old, you mean to tell us that you have never ever been sick in previous years? What did you do before when you got sick & didn't have any help (and why aren't you doing that now)?

In the meantime, while you're figuring out the answer to my question.....Does your DD have a case manager and can you get emergency respite services, either through MA or through an MR/DD waiver? Can you get helpers from your local religious organization (church, synagogue, mosque, etc.)? Do you have a case manager or social worker available to you that you could ask for help? What about through your DD's school?

If the answer is no, no, no, etc.....Then you do what the rest of us do, you force yourself to get up & do what you have to do to get through the day. Take something for your cold that doesn't cause drowsiness and deal with what's left - Your child is depending on you to keep it together!
    Anonymous

• Anon do you have a special needs child? If you do I would have hoped you would have some compassion for another mom!

OP- try to rest when she is at school. Can you "child proof" your home? It sounds odd but things like locks on doors, pad locking the fridge and stove. I'm not in your shoes so I'm sort of grasping at straws.

As far as cold medicines stay away from anything that says "antihystamine" that's the part that makes you sleepy. I have special needs kids too, although mine are much younger, and I get single ingredient medicines for just my specific symptoms. And rest as much as you can when she is in school, let other things go a little, take out food won't kill you for a week or so. Just do the essential house work, and stay home from work if you can.

I truly wish you well, it is a hard road we are on and most don't understand.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• i feel your pain, i have a special needs child. i have been sick and ended up having to put in 53 hours at work this week. im totally exhausted!
    heidi1439

Answer by heidi1439 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2009