Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do about my loud, rude neighbors?

So we just bought and moved into our condo at the end of July. We thought it was a good deal until we realized we have the rudest neighbor lady! She has two grandsons, ages probably 4 and 6 and they stay with her on the weekend. She lets them run around until 10 pm...and when I say run I mean they literally make the walls and floor shake ands scream at the top of their lungs. They also run around in our common area all day. She yells and curses at them constantly! Once I was walking our dog and she said something like 'I don't know where your f*cking toys are, maybe if you little sh*ts would pick up your toys you could find them'. I was shocked! I could never talk to my young child like that.

Anyway, as I type this, they are yet again being extremely loud, and my daughter is trying to take a nap. What would you say to a neighbor like this - I don't want to stir the pot, but this is getting out of hand...

Answer Question

Asked by weezer_cookie at 2:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 2 (12 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • talk to the children's mother

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • Well the apple doesn't fall far from the tree on that one. The mom is just as bad as the grandma! Seriously, my husband and I try to be nice and cordial with her, but she doesn't as much as smile or say hi back to us. We have no idea what we've 'done wrong' for her to act this way, but she is just not a nice person. I feel she would make it into a huge fight, and I am not a very assertive person to begin with. The problem is, I'm getting to the point where if I DO go over there, I would be the one getting angry, just because of how rude they are. Any suggestions?

    Answer by weezer_cookie at 3:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • Talk to her once or twice and it still don't help call the police. I had loud neighbors at one time, she had a teen daughter that had a mouth like a sailor and she would run around the house and have really loud sex with her boyfriend when her mom was not around and I tell you what, we all have our right to enjoy our peace and not having to hear our neighbors business.


    Answer by looovemybabies at 3:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • You are not going to "stir the pot". I live in a court so i have "lot owners" and i went thru this SAME thing. All night long, everynite, everyday......uggggg is sooooo irritating. And you can only take so much!!!! But, in your case, if you own your condo and can't go to the "owners" you rent from, I would say your last resort is to call and complain to the sherrif dept. They can go over and tell the woman, "someone" has complained and she is warned. Maybe this will let it down a bit. If not, call again. Seriously, maybe it will scare the crap out of her. I think if you were to talk to the mom, she may get offended and think you ARE causing problems. Let someone else of a "higher" stand take care of it: incase something happens later.
    I had to do it with my old neighbors. They just moved out about three months ago, but they did let up. I tried EVERYTHING. I even yelled out the door at 3am for them to shut up!
    Good LUck!

    Answer by SylviasMommy at 3:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • ןoן 'sʇǝƃ ǝɥs pǝʇɐɹʇsnɹɟ ʍoÉ¥ ǝǝs & ɹoop ɹǝɥ uo ʇı ʞɔıs Ë™spɹɐʍʞɔɐq & uʍop ǝpısdn sı ʇɐɥʇ ɹǝʇʇǝן ɐ ɹǝɥ ǝʇıɹʍ ʇou ʎɥʍ

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • similar problem, so i feel for you. You can talk to these people all you want, but they obviously don't care about you, so you're only frustrating yourself more. Find out if your city has a council that handles noise/nuisance complaints. sometimes these councils will monitor, record it in various ways, and report it to the police after a period (usually 2 weeks) if it is still occuring and breaking city noise/nuisance ordances. Otherwise, just call the police every time she is being excessively loud, verbally abusing the kids, or negleting to supervise them outside of her own apt. She will get fines for it, and maybe then she'll give a little concern to what you might think?

    Answer by citymama707 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • Id call CPS on grammie for the verbal abuse or the police for the noise. You are legally entitled to peace and quiet and not be constantly bothered by your attached neighbors. If you have an association Id contact them about this problem and look in your condo covenants about noise and common area rules.

    Answer by vbruno at 6:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • anon 3:28--how did you do that?! LOL

    OP--I would call the condo association or if you are an owner see what it says under the "noise ordinance." If there isn't an ordinance I recommend it being added at the next association meeting--then there will be recourse for continued failure to adhere to the rules.

    Also is there a "non resident/guest policy" in the association bylaws? Since the children do not actually live there, and are only visiting, perhaps there is a way to limit the number of days/overnights they are allowed to be there before they are fined!!! :o)

    Answer by LoriKeet at 6:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • Hello again. She used to be on the board of association and my husband thinks that i might be 'starting some shit' if I say anything. I personally think these are all good ideas, but he does not. I think it is very rude of her to allow her grandkids to run amok all over the neighborhood unsupervised and loudly in her house at 10 p.m., but they are also not there all the time... ack. I don't know what to do...

    Answer by weezer_cookie at 11:02 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

  • Get an attitude and stand up to her........Live with it....or follow some of the previous advice.......These are your only options........except for selling the condo

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.