Is this an appropriate gift idea?

I'm a single mom and make okay money but don't want to kill myself on Christmas this year! Is it acceptable to give a gift to an entire household instead of individual gifts? They always buy my child and I individual gifts but the thing is its just two of us and we end up having to buy four seperate gifts. It gets hard on one income! So would doing a movie night basket with maybe a liter of soda, a box of popcorn, a bag of candy and an inexpensive video be fine for a whole family? Or for say my grandparents could I maybe make a photo book at www.snapfish.com and give it to both of them as a joint gift? What do you guys think about platters of cookies or something for friends families? I'm not sure. Please give me ideas! I want to keep my budget on everyone around $100 this year. I've already bought my sons presents.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Holidays

• I think that sounds like a great Christmas gift! I think I'm going to have to steal you movie night basket idea!
    Anonymous

• I actually think i am gonna do the same idea. I am going to make Cookies, candies and bars for everyone. It makes a whole day of baking: and that i LOVE to do....plus my little girl can help.....and there is NOTHING better than getting a plate full of goodies for xmas.
    When i was little, there was a friend of my moms who always did that. And i can STILL taste that fudge. YUMMY!!!
    I think it is a FAB idea. Plus, if you do it every year, ppl won't want to wait so long unitl xmas to get your goodies. IT WAY BETTER THAN A BOX OF PLAIN OLE CHOCOLATES!!!
    I say go for it! I AM!
    Happy baking hun!
    PS: the popcorn movie thing is a great gift too. Expecially if you make it up yourself!
    SylviasMommy

Answer by SylviasMommy at 3:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• i love the popcorn movie night idea, i may have to steal it from you. we've always done separate gifts for everyone but it gets soo expensive and thats a really good one. i've also always done the baking cookies or buckeyes or something like that for neighbors, day care workers, teachers, things like that b/c its just soo much easier, and my SIL is a teacher, she said she has boxes of magnets, ornaments, things that kids give her for xmas and other holidays she just doesn't have the space for or the heart to throw away. i figure cookies, buckeyes everyone loves those and they can eat them so no space taken up.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My family has always done these sort of gifts, they are called "from our house to yours" gifts. They are the only thing we exchange with most of the family. Sometimes they include small gifts for the young children but not always. usually its a Christmas decoration, food, or something the whole family can do together. I know the hand made Christmas decorations get kept longer and tend to be more appreciated.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• That sounds really good! We don't make that much money either and I always get grandparentsn families, and so on one gift. My parents love it! One year I got them a basket with coffee, creamer, two coffee cups, and biscotte because they LOVE coffee. Make it personal! Have fun with it :)
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2009