Should I keep my son home from school if I don't have dentist appointment yet?

Just to let everyone who is going to say something negative about money....The ONLY way I have internet is because my husband's job requires their time sheet to be done on line. It is a tax write off as well. That said, we are BROKE and our kids haven't been to the dentist like they should since we can't afford to pay the deductibles and our percentage. (My application for children's Medicaid is pending) My middle son pulled his tooth last night, thinking it was loose. Come to find out, his tooth was decayed (we didn't know) and he pulled the top part off. Now the pulp is all exposed. He says it doesn't hurt, but I'm concerned sending him to school with a nerve just exposed like that. I don't have a dentist appointment yet, but I'm wondering ~should I keep him home anyway and hope I can get him seen tomorrow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if he says it doesn't hurt, I'd take him at his word and go ahead and send him. Then you can call and get him an appt for whenever they can see him. You can go pick him up if it turns out they can get him in tomorrow, and the school can call you to come get him if it does start to hurt him. And if it DOES start to hurt him and you can't get him in right away, you can try some Ambesol or whatever it is to see if it helps ease the pain.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I would send him to school, and get him for the appointment. It is best if he misses the least amount of classtime possible.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• i would send him and let his teacher know about it and if he gets to be in any pain at all for him to come home and i would tell him that if he is hurting he needs to let his teacher know. i would also pack a lunch for him of stuff he could eat that wouldnt hurt it. and if you get an appt go pick him up and take him to it!
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I agree that if he isn't in pain he can go to school. If there is a school nurse or social worker they may be able to pull some strings to get you a dental appt quickly.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• That sounds like a good idea. I just feel horrible that we have this problem at all. If we had the money, our kids would have the dental attention they deserve. :( We haven't been to the dentist in a long time, either, except for the free check up each year. They tell us what all we need done, and how much it will be with insurance, but $500 a kid is not possible.
    Anonymous

• Send him to school, you may not be able to get him in right away. If it doesn't hurt, he is ok to go to school. Give him Advil before school to keep any pain at bay.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:37 PM on Oct. 4, 2009