My toddler escapes from the car seat straps!

My 21 month old son always manages to get both arms out of the straps. I always make sure he's in good but as we are driving he sucks in his chest and stomach till he's half his size and gets both arms out. Is there any device I can buy or any tips on how to keep him safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tighten up the straps

Answer by louise2 at 4:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I had the same problem with my daughter, scared me to death. I went to the store in town that has the best carseat department, and asked what I could buy to reinforce the seat(buckle was also getting undone by my daughter), I was told there is nothing on the market because of safety issues. She suggested slightly loosening the shoulderstraps, or maybe raising them up to the next level as maybe she was feeling overly constricted and that's why she undid herself. I did re thread at the next highest notch, and loosened the straps just a little. I also had a talk with her about why her seat was important. To help her understand, I brought the seat in the house, strapped her in and leaned her forward, she didn't budge, I then undid the top and leaned her forward, she fell forward, I undid the bottom too, tipped the seat forward, and she fell outta her seat...then she understood why she had to leave her buckles alone. Good Luck
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 4:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• tighten the straps- you should only be able to fit 2 fingers between him and the straps. the plastic piece that is right above the "real" buckle between his legs (not sure what it's called) should rest right at his armpits. if all that is done, he should not be able to get out. if he still can, i'd go to a fire station that inspects seats so they can adjust it for you, with your son. maybe if a "cool" fireman tells him to stay in his seat he'll listen then :)
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2009