breastmilk and baby

How can you tell if baby doesnt like the taste of your breastmilk ? will he continusly pull away and not stay latched? im having that problem and i cant tell why he's doing it..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try expressing a bit of milk before latching baby on. A baby won't pull away because they don't like the taste - yes the flavor changes a bit depending on what you eat, but it's always sweet. Babies don't NOT like breastmilk. If he's older, it could be that there are too many distractions. But I dare bet you're a little full when he tries to latch on. Hold him close too, don't give him room to pull away.
    Anonymous

• You might be having a forceful "letdown", do you ever spray milk when he pulls away? There might be too much coming out at once for him to handle. If that's the case, you can try pumping a little before nursing him so it doesn't come out as fast into his mouth. Your body will eventually adjust to how much he needs and that will stop happening (if that is what's going on).
    Anonymous

• Babies like the taste of breastmilk. Once in awhile some babies may not like something some mothers eat. I had 3 breastfed babies and never experienced this.

Some babies do what you are describing if they have been given bottles or pacifiers.

Sometimes babies don't like the way they are being held. Some babies don't like their heads being touched. Some don't like being swaddled. Some want to be swaddled.

I suggest calling a LLL Leader. Mothering Magazine online has breastfeeding discussion boards.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• he's 8 days one was squrting but it stopped and he still wouldnt stay on he normally does pretty good once he's on he stays but now he is fighting me pushing me away and crying with my breast in his mouth! i was just worried it was something i ate or something like that
    Anonymous

• It sounds like exactly what I said, forceful letdown. Especially since he's so young your body is trying to adjust to how much to make for him and it's coming out too fast. When that happened with my 2 younger kids I pumped before feeding them for a couple of minutes so it didn't come out so fast and they were ok after that. It didn't last very long either, only a couple of days. Keep it up! Good luck and congratulations!
    Anonymous

• Definitely pump or express before feeding him.
    Anonymous

• My son did that a few times when he was a newborn, it was because he was hungry and getting mad at the milk not coming out fast enough LOL. Try to feed him before he gets to fussy, watch for feeding cues. Also first and second poster had really good reasons also, if it is coming out to fast he will try to pull away, do you hear him swallow faster before he pulls and crys?
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• not really he'll stay on for a minute or two then pull away and get fussy... i do feed him before he starts crying .. but it could be coming out too fast though i'll definatly keep an eye on that thanks ladies
    Anonymous

• I dont know! I bf 3 kids and I never figured it out! lol Just trust your instincts.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• try pumping some befor u fed him.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:34 PM on Oct. 4, 2009