what is the age in which its okay to go back to work

loveverymin

Asked by loveverymin at 4:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• 18 or when they move out:) Teenagers can need mom home as much as younger kids.

It depends on the kids and the nature of mom's work.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• When ever it is ok with you, daycares might require a baby to be 6 weeks, home daycares may take them sooner. But the age they are when you go back to work it up to you. I went back 2 weeks after DD was born, 9 months with second DD, and 18 months with DS. It also depends on finances.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• It's not so much about the age as it is your family's circumstances and access to resources. Here is an article on career planning and returning to work. Good luck! http://careerplanning.about.com/od/stayathomeparents/a/back_to_work_qs.htm
    Kumbaya

Answer by Kumbaya at 4:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Your kids need you much more between 12 and 18, than they do when they are smaller. Now is the time to establish your career and get a good jump on retirement and college savings.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I stayed home with my DD till she was 8 wks old then up until know she has never been babysat by ANYONE we work different shifts so it has worked but come week from tomorrow she will be in child care and ya she is ready to be with children her own age. So to answer your question 6-12 weeks is what most do.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I think every family has to decide that for themselves. I've pretty much stayed home for most of the last 27 years. There have been a few periods of time when I worked part time, but for us, staying it's been worth making certain financial sacrifices for me to stay home and take care of the kids. Our youngest is 17 now, and in college. Definitely there are reasons to stay home with the kids at every age, but you have to decide what's best for your family, and then work out the details so that they best benefit your children. Although I stayed home, I have friends who went back to work as soon as their maternity leave was up, and that seems to have worked well for them.

It's not an easy decision, good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• It depends on your personal preference. I went back to work when my son was 4 months, but I'm also a teacher and had the summer off. Ideally, I'd like to have the 2nd baby in the early summer so I can have more time off, but things are not working out that way at the moment. For the next baby, I'll probably take the alloted time the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) asks for ... 12 weeks.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:24 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• When you need the money and can no longer afford to stay home with your children. There is no right or wrong age.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Daycares require 6 weeks no younger. I started back when my son was 3 weeks. You need to go back to work when your family needs it. If you can afford to stay home great but dont think cause people say you NEED to stay home means its not right for you to go back to work if your family needs the income.
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 5:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• its a family thing -- medical leave will cover you for 6-8 weeks. I was lucky to get almost 3 months with my son and exactly 2 months with my dd.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2009