If you had a baby at 34 weeks gest. did he/she have to be in the nicu? For how long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• They probably would have to be. I had a baby at 36 weeks and they expected he would be. He did better than expected and didn't have to be. He did have to be in an incubator and had to have phototherapy.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• It really all depends on the weight and how there lungs are doing. My friend had her baby at 32wks and her daughter was in the NICU for a week and then she could go home. Know she is 8 months olds and she is 17lbs and she is a chunby little girl.
    Anonymous

• I just had a baby 2 mth ago at 34 weeks. She weighed 5lbs 12oz & did not have to go to NICU at all. When I left the hospital so did she. She passed all the preemie tests also.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I forgot to add that she has almost doubled her weight. She is now exactly 10lbs.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I had a 34 weeker 3 yrs ago and she spent 3 days in the NICU with oxygen support. All is well now though.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I had 33 week and 3 day twins...They spent one week in NICU.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 6:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Its impossible to tell if the baby would need to be in the NICU. I had a 31 weeker and she was in the NICU for 3 long months. Others like t 06 twins had only a extra week on mine and was only there a week . Its hard to konw.
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• my niece was born at 34 wks. and she wne thome with my sister 3 days later
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My daughter was born @ 34 weeks and was in NICU for 12 days -- due to feeding issues, weight issues, and she had jaundice and had to be under the lights.
    Anonymous

• My son was born at 34 weeks and he was in the N.I.CU for only ten days. He was born with no lung function whatsoever, he had respitory distress syndrome and jaundice and had to be under the lights for a few days as well. It was a very hard time, and there really is nothing like seeing your baby covered with tubes and bandages and the hardest part was not being able to hold him for a while because the first day or two were really touch and go- but we made it out of there and consider ourselves to be so lucky that it was only the ten days! Good luck!
    Sarah1220

Answer by Sarah1220 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2009