Great Danes!!!

Ok, my son is getting a great dane puppy (she will be about 6months old) in November. Until then we are doing research on them. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do to get ready for her.

mom-2-4boys

Asked by mom-2-4boys at 5:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Pets

• Lots of chew toys. A big enough kennel for her to grow into - even if she won't be sleeping in it or anything, it'll come in handy. A good food for her. Vet lined up. Etc. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 5:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Remove ANY figurines on tables and lamps that can be knocked over by their tails now, so you don't loose something precious to you. LOTS of chew toys as well. Oh, you might want to get one of those huge cow pie shovels for the poop which is HUGE. They are a GREAT breed of dog, but LOTS of work as puppies. 80 pounds of food a week as adults is also not cheap either.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• don't get a harlequin (the white ones with black spots). as pretty as they are, they tend to be more aggressive than the other colors. every other great dane i've seen was sweet except those harlequins!
    oh, and get those food/water bowl stands that raise the bowls up off the floor so when s/he gets bigger, s/he doesn't have to bend over.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 6:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Big dogs require certain special things, like the food bowls off the floor, to avoid bloat, make sure you find a vet that has experience with large breed dogs. They are prone to different diseases, like bone cancer and heart issues. Also, the larger the dog the shorter the life span. AND TRAINING,  TRAINING,  TRAINING. Our last dog was a wolfhound (had a dane and an old english sheepdog before him), you could contain that dog with a piece of thread, but it took alot of time and patience.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 7:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Anything 4ft up from the floor, say goodbye. Coffee table is the "oh crap" zone. The tail is a serious weapon. No figurines, no end table decorations, no flower vases, no low stuff.

I love my dane mix!

Contact a trainer if you don't have experience with big dogs. Bark Busters is a good system and they will come to you and guarantee the training for life.

A tired dog is a good dog, so find plenty of appropriate exercise for the new dog. A joint health supplement is key to long-term happiness for this dog.

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:49 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• A prong collar will be your best friend...not a choke collar, but one with prongs all around. I called it 'power steering for Danes'! LOL! They don't hurt, but they will get the dogs attention. When I had my last Dane, my toddler could walk him on his prong collar with no problems. Yes, elevated food and water stations...a nice comfy bed since they are prone to joint problems. To the pp who said Harls were more aggressive...that's not been my experience at ALL...I've had black danes and Harls and the Harl was actually calmer. They do not tolerate heat well so don't leave them outside for long periods of time and they are definitely social dogs that love to be around their humans. I know it's fun to see pics of people with their Danes standing on their hind legs, but don't EVER allow this! A standing Dane can be taller than the avg man and could really hurt someone if they jumped on them. Good luck...I love DANES!
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 10:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2009