Can you still breastfeed after a c-section even with all the pain killers?

Asked by shyfox19 at 4:22 AM on Jun. 24, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes! Absolutely. I BF'd right away after my section and nursed my girl for 19 months. Go to it, mama! If you have any problems, try your hospital's lactation consultant.

Answer by nell_brinkley at 4:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Feel free to PM me through my profile any time.

• Absolutely Yes, your doc will not give you anything to harm that baby. You are in good hands...this is what they do. We pay them the big bucks to do that worring for us. congrats and enjoy your new arrival.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 6:27 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Yes, definatly! I was on vicodin for a week and a half after my c-section. I pumped that entire time. (My son was in the NICU and couldn't actually breastfeed) If you are worried about it you could pump and throw out the milk that would be immediately tainted.

Answer by LindsayKay at 7:35 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• You sure can. As soon as I was out of recovery they brought my son in to my room and I started breastfeeding. But I was only on the pain medicine they gave me through an IV after that I wouldnt take anything else because I wasnt in that much pain.

Answer by 05ProudMommy at 1:55 PM on Jun. 24, 2008