How young is too young to sleep on tummy?

My daughter is two months old (she was born at 30 weeks). At night when it is time for bed she wakes up every time that I put her on her back. But when I place her on her tummy she sleeps for four to five hours a night. How young is too young to sleep all night on her tummy?

lilyemama

Asked by lilyemama at 6:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Until a baby is a year old (AAP).
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• It depends on the parents.

Mine were on their tummy as soon as I brought them home.
    Anonymous

• when they can roll over or lift their head up really good
    Anonymous

• since your baby was born early, i'd talk to your pedi about it. but for any other baby, i'm with the third poster.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• At night or if I'm busy cleaning i'll put her on her back but if I sit down at the computer or to watch tv i'll put her on her belly. She is 15 days old.
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 7:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• see its to prevent SIDS and since the greatest risk is with preemies (sorry to scare you) I would try to keep her on her back till she can lift head/roll over/your doctor OKs it. (Granted I was blessed with a big healthy baby boy who could lift his head at birth so it was tummy for him pretty much as soon as we got home since he wouldn't sleep anyother way...)
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 8:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• my son is 7 weeks and he sleeps on his tummy
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• IF she wakes up and cries, let her, she will go to sleep again at some point. She should sleep on her back until she rolls her own self over onto her tummy. It is SUPPOSED to be until one year, but that isn't realistic if you can't control their rolling!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• they sell these sleep positioner things. and when our son was first born and for the first few months, we put him on his side in that. he liked it. but during naps when i was watching him we did lay him on his tummy because his thrush was through out his system and was colicky....so on the tummy helped with the gas and such. i think our son was around 4 or 5 months when we laid him on his tummy
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• When a baby can get to their tummy all on their own they can sleep that way. As a preemie she has a greater risk of SIDS... she needs to sleep on her back. She has already been through alot being preterm... you don't want to risk her life and chance it to SIDS because you want an easier way to make her sleep....
    Put her in a nice snug swaddle, make a little U shaped nest to make her feel secure and lay her down before she is sleeping... and then pat her or rub her head to soothe is she starts to fuss.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2009