US Military puts Obama on the spot.

By openly declaring their views on the Afghan war, US military leaders have placed President Barack Obama in a bind as he faces a fraught decision over the troubled US-led mission

What do you think he should do? Its a political rock and a hard place for him. I hope he surges and gets it over.

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 6:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You know he is putting our men and women in danger the longer he stalls. That is one major reason, I'm happy my husband isn't deployed or being deployed here soon. Just over the weekend they had a major firefight that left 8 dead. He needs to make a decision and quick, either send more or get them out of there.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 7:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Agree I have a nephew and brother there.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My bil is home, but deployed for training. He was gone nine months last year and we were worried. Real worried.
    I'm afraid he'll go back soon. My little brother may get called soon too.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Oh and yeah, he needs to settle on the issue. Isn't that his job?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Putting a single one of our soldiers in more danger than they are already is, well, there is absolutely NO excuse for it! It is bad enough that the request for help has been blown off for this long but now that we all know about it, you'd think the President would do whatever it takes to help our soldiers, with NO more stalling! Do you ever wonder how he can do the things he does and IF he is really on our side?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 8:39 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I agree with the OP.

My uncle is set to diploy to Afganistan in the next year (They've been told August of 2010 but you know how the military is. It could change at any time) and he said that Afganistan is bad enough on it's own because of the large amount of mountains and trees there. He also says without support from Obama we will not only lose there but we will also lose many, many young men and women.

He said Obama needs to make a choice and make it now. My uncle and other men in his group are all for a surge. They are ready to do it and get it over with!

Maybe since Obama isn't the one of the ground and really does NOT have the military experience that the people this is affecting does he should listen to the men and women on the ground.
    Anonymous

• Most of us knew, with Obama having NO MILITARY experience, what so ever it was going to come back and bite us in the butt, So here you go......

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Right.because Bush #2 had a whole bunch of military experience, didn't he? I think I served more than he did. And I was never AWOL.
    Anonymous

• He needs to listen to the military leaders he put there. He obviously doesn't have the experience to make an intelligent decision here. He needs to stop being a pansy and send more troops. We need to get the job done and get out.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• You know he is putting our men and women in danger the longer he stalls.

General Petraeus hasn't made the decision yet. He is the Central Commander and he is not entirely sold on the idea

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2009