how do you properly dispose of a tattered or torn Bible?

I have one that is falling apart, I've had it since 3rd grade. When I get a new one what do I do with the old? It just doesn't seem right to throw it in the garbage. Is there really a proper way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Bury it.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Returneth to the dust frometh which it cameth....lol But seriously, I never have even thought of something like that.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Some people bury them, others burn them just like with the american flag, it is a sign of respect. But I would keep it and give it to my oldest child or something to pass down.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• The proper way as others is to either bury it in the ground.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 6:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Burn it or bury it. If you burn it spread the ashes around your house while saying a prayer.

Personally, I would put it in a Rubbermaid or tupperware and keep it in my attic. Periodically place death and birth cards.
    Anonymous

• i tried to find something in the bible on this & was unsuccessful.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 7:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• my first thought was to burn it...but according to my mom you should never burn the bible lol..so im not sure..but if you've had it that long i would put it in a large zip lock bag and keep it lol.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Recycle it, that way it can be resurrected.  It seems to me that that would be a fitting tribute.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Difficulty: EasyInstructions
    Disposing of the Bible
    Step 1Consider donating your Bible. Take it to a local church, used bookstore, public library or to a friend or family member who you think might like to have it.

Step 2Save it. Some Bibles are family heirlooms, so even if it can't be read, it still has much worth. Consider storing it in a protective way (out of the light and sealed from water) or in a decorative way (such as in a glass case.)

Step 3Restore it. Books are valuable antiques, and there are people who specialize in restoring them so they can be re-used or put on display. It is especially appropriate to restore a Bible that contains historical information about you and your family; you may wish to share this with a local historical society as well.

Step 4Recycle it. This is recommended by the American Bible Society.

Step 5Bury it. Some people prefer to seal the Bible in a box or casket and bury it.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Step 5Bury it. Some people prefer to seal the Bible in a box or casket and bury it. This is an acceptable practice for both the Bible and other religious articles.

Step 6Burn it. This is also an acceptable method of discarding of sacred articles.

Step 7Ask your priest. Catholics seek guidance from their clergy on any number of things, so this should be no different. If you do not find the methods above acceptable, ask your priest what he would do with the Bible he reads from at Mass. The answer can be reassuring

THIS IS FROM A WEBSITE ABOUT A CATHOLIC BIBLE BUT MAYBE ONE OF THE IDEAS WILL HELP YOU
    Kattykitten