my daughter is about to be 1 in November and she can already eat by herself and drink from a sippy cup and straw... So my question is is this a good age for me to try and get he off the bottle? I was thinking maybe i should try and just give her sippy cups through out the day and when she takes a nap or goes to sleep at night then give her a bottle!!!! What do you ladies think?

hthomas11388

Asked by hthomas11388 at 6:48 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is a good idea. Sense she is already using a sippy cup.

Answer by louise2 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I was off the bottle at 9 months.
    Anonymous

• Get her on a sippy cup and ditch ALL the bottles. If she can drink from a sippy, there is NO reason for her to have any bottle.
    Anonymous

• If she is capable of using a sippy then bottles are no longer needed. Formula goes right into a sippy and she can drink it from there. Get her off the bottle as fast as you can. The longer you wait the harder it will be.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• If you put her to bed with a bottle, it should only have water in it, for the sake of her teeth. I agree with the other answers, you may as well go to all cup now.

Answer by Bmat at 7:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• kids are supposed to be of the bottle by 12 mts. i got my dd off the bottle cold turkey
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I would just give her cereal and a sippy before bed and see what happens. Try to get rid of all bottles. I did it with DS at about 11 months with no issues but I have heard of lots of people having a hard time with it but they always seem to be like 2 or 3 so I would have to say it seems to be easier the earlier you get rid of them.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 8:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• go for it
    my son was off the bottle by 9 mo cuz he took well to the sippy and i felt no need to drag it out
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• my son is 1, and we are "weaning" him off the bottle. We packed up his bottles and he gets 3 sippy cups of milk, water, and juice. No bottles. He gets snack time milk at our house... 1 between breakfast and lunch, between lunch and dinner, and one before bed (then brush his teeth!) He is starting to eat more FOOD and not fill up on bottles now. He uses a sippy cup for milk and a straw sippy cup for water and juice. He used to rely on bedtime bottles, but surprisingly he was so tired of fighting me for the bottle, he took his sippy and went to bed very very well. Go for it!
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• when my first DD was 11 months, I just threw out the bottles and gave her sippy cups, she did just fine. I did the same with my 2nd DD, but she was about 9 months. I only switched her so early because she kept stealing her big sister's cups and drinking from them, so I figured if she could do it, then away with the bottles! They both did fine. If you give yours a bottle for bedtime, you will have your hands full later trying to break that habit. There is no reason for a kid to have a drink with them at bedtime, I never understood that!
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2009