How do I combat a rude atheist?

So I am walking along--doing my thing. Ignoring everyone and their business. I am meeting a few people in the break room.

I sit down to have a small chit chat with some people. There are several people I know in the room, but my conversation is between 3 particular people. The conversation turns toward God.

A nosey busy body that I do know- but was not part of my conversation, we will call her Bertha, decides our personal conversation is her business and says " your invisible sky guy isn't real" ... we smile and move on with our conversation and Bertha feels the need to tell us how we shouldn't not be talking about "mythology" in public because she has the right not to hear it.

So other than throwing a cup of hot coffee on her what is the best response?

Does religion have to be in our churches or living rooms? When did my rights as a Christian take back burner to her right to leave the room?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can't help saying this...
    If she thinks that she'll become a tree when after she passes, tell her... one day, you'll be doing your tree thing, and this big burly woodsman will come down, chop you down, grind you into paper.. and then print the BIBLE ON YOU.
    :] I love Dane Cook.

it might be "mythology" to her, but it's your beliefs to you. If she doesn't like it, she can gladly leave, but you see no problem discussing your beliefs with your FRIENDS where the conversation was not even directed towards her. You weren't preaching to her, trying to convert her... what business is it of hers then? it doesn't matter if you were talking about childbirth, you're having a conversation with friends. Butt out.
    that's what I'd say.... aside from the Bible comment. :D
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• you have to just ignore it and realize that everyone is entitled to their own faith. It would piss me off too but is def worth it to let some asshole get me upset
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Maybe you shouldn't be talking about God at work, break or not. I think it's rude.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:59 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I guess I'm old schooled--I believe that in mixed company--(as the workplace would be considered), topics regarding money, religion and politics should NEVER be discussed--chances are you WILL offend someone, somehow.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• : Gailll
    Maybe you shouldn't be talking about God at work, break or not. I think it's rude.
    __

I think it was rude of her to get in my conversation. but it also seems like one more sign of the times where Christians are made to be quiet.
    Anonymous

• Idk... I've never discussed religion or politics at work. Too much room for arguing. Maybe she didn't have to be that rude about it, but maybe she was annoyed. I guess it depends on how small the break area was. Our old break room was pretty tiny and I guess I'd get annoyed if some people by me were talking about something like that, but then again I would have just left and gone for a walk or something instead...

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• You go girl! I say keep talking about the Almighty! She may get offended but maybe you will plant a seed that will grow... We Christians need to plant seeds in hopes that they will grow. Just pray for her and keep talking sister!!!! :)
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 7:11 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• You can talk about your beliefs at the workplace if you want. You aren't trying to convert anyone. The eav3esdroppers are the rude ones.
    Anonymous

• I'd inform her that this is America and she most certainly DOES NOT have the right not to hear something. If she didn't like listening to your conversation she should have left instead of being a jerk.

I'm not atheist but I'm not christian either. I'm Pagan, and if you're talking amongst your friends at work you have every right to talk about whatever you like, as long as you understand that you can and probably will end up offending someone. That's okay, though, we don't have the right not ot be offended in this country... that's what makes it so great :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Love and kindness as Jesus shows us. I would smile and let her know the conversation was not geared to her and that while she might find your conversation offensive there are things that may offend you, such as an inappropriate joke or gossip. While others may find our conversations about God offensive I feel they need to know that there are things they do which offend us which we turn our ears and backs to and walk away. You don't like what is on T.V. you turn it off she can do the same thing she doesn't need to listen.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 7:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2009