Is postpartum bleeding at 9 weeks normal?

I am 9 weeks and 1 day postpartum and I have had continuous red bleeding since the delivery when I had my placenta removed in pieces manually (by hand). I am anemic (taking supplements) with dizziness and heart palpitations. I've had a serum pregnancy test (HCG) and it's 45 (supposed to be under 5 for nonpregnant women), but there's no chance of pregnancy for me as I haven't been active in that way since before the birth of my daughter. I've called my doctor's office and everyone there (including the doctor) seems completely unconcerned. They've just been ordering bloodwork and barely returning my persistent calls. I was checked at 6 1/2 weeks PP and OB said I was fine..

has anyone else experienced this? Or anything like this? Am I being rediculous in thinking I should find a new doc?

atfp4554

Asked by atfp4554 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes you need to be checked again and maybe by a different Dr. My cousin called me two weeks ago because she was still bleeding heavy, light headed, dizzy etc... She still had a few pieces of the placenta attached to her that was causing her to bleed. Bleeding bright red blood after 9 weeks post baby is NOT normal...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• If you are anemic, bleeding bright red 9 weeks PP is not abnormal. Your Dr. continues to check your blood work. It would be different if you were bleeding copious amounts. Supplements aren't the best way to fortify your iron supply. They help but foods rich in iron are far better ways to increase your intake. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water as well. Dizzyness can also be a sign of dehydration. Here is a good website for some info on foods that are both heme iron rich and non heme iron rich.

http://www.healthcastle.com/iron.shtml

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I bled for 15 wks because i had a csection. It was normal for me. Id call the dr tom. all you may need is a dnc
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• i am anemic and with my first son i bled for 12 almost 13 weeks....its normal...now if you atart to pass huge clots(size bigger than a golf ball) then be checked by your doc....best of luck...and the only thing that stopped my bleeding was a d&c.....
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I'm getting the feeling that most people are thinking that it's ok to be bleeding like this but I need to talk to my doctor about D&C. I tend to agree since my placenta wasn't delivered normally. I've thought from the beginning that this was the case and asked my doctor about it since my blood had stayed bright red and she just politely told me it was ok. The office likes to skirt around issues and never answers questioins directly. I've learned to ask more specific questions so as to "back them into a corner" or I'd never hear anything specific. It wouldn't be so bad if they would just tell me what they're thinking instead of just saying it's normal. Everything I read tells me it isn't... what about my situation makes it normal for me? Also, because of my positive pregnancy test, they won't listen to me tell them I can't be pregnant. It's very frustrating.
    atfp4554

Answer by atfp4554 at 7:33 AM on Oct. 5, 2009