Do JW disown family members who leave their faith?

I read somewhere that if a person converts from JW their family will disown them. I have not been able to find any information supporting this idea.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Depends on how strict they are in the religion. I was raised a JW and chose to leave at 18 to be with my mom. My dad hasn't spoken to me in 10 years.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• They don't call it disown..the use 'excommunicate'" It is a symantic word game. It is the same as disowning someone. Those who are deep in JW will do it.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Yeah they do, they won't speak to family members who leave the church...as in ever...yeah, I'm sure God loves that!
    Anonymous

• Really? I mean really? this is a real practice? I thought you all were going to tell me I was crazy and quit bashing. I didn't look hard but in the few places I did look I didn't hear of this.
    Anonymous

• we do shun, but only as last resort, if they commit a really bad sin, but we are encourage to still speak with family, maybe you dont talk about religion, but you can talk about work or school or whatever. Not speaking to your family is a personas decision, I've had that situation in my family and i still hang with them and was never told not to disown them. DH isnt a JW, never converted and he's my family, Id never walk away from him. My sister stopped studying and she's my best friend. so its a personal decision. shunning within the congregation is based on this scripture.

proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• 1 Corinthians 5:11-13 (King James Version)

11But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

12For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

13But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.
    proudmomma777

• yes they will shun you.
    Anonymous

• i don't understand why you always quote king james version of the bible. Doesn't the JW's rely more on the new world translation? what does it say?
    Anonymous

• we use nwt. but we sometimes use king james. i'll get the same scripture from NWT

1 Corinthians 5:11-13 NWT

But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man. 12 For what do I have to do with judging those outside? Do YOU not judge those inside, 13 while God judges those outside? “Remove the wicked [man] from among yourselves.”
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• all bibles are the same they just use different words, so when i dont quite understand the wording in one, i'll use a different one. i like ours and american standard because its more plain english.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2009