how old is too old for a sippy cup?

ok, i have a 19 month old, and a 4 year old and i just give them both sippy cups..... is 4 years old too old for a sippy cup? or should i just start giving him his drink in a plastic cup and tell him to leave it on the counter where baby brother can't reach it?

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would give the 4 yr old his own big boy cup.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 8:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I always stop them at 2-2 1/2. After that they just look crazy with them. I hate seeing huge 4 year olds drinking out of Elmo sippys in the grocery store... I just wanna snatch the cup and run! lol
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 8:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Three is too old for a sippy cup.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 8:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• depends on the sippy cup, and the situation. like in a car it's ok, but not the nubby ones with the soft nipple like drinking spout. and never at nap time or bed time.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Depends on the child and the situation. I would think until like 3 or 4 in the car but at home they should be gone.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• We use open cups only and if we are going to be in the car then i get juice boxes. Our son actually started wanting to drink out of the open cup around 2. As for to old I really dont know.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old. My 4 year old drinks out of her own regular cups, and my 2 year old often steals them and drinks out of them, and even she does fine with them, so I'll probably ditch the sippy's by the time she's 3. 4 is way too old to be drinking from a sippy cup, IMO.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• my 4yr old still has them. she just can not stop spilling a regular cup. really we are a family of very clumsy people so it doesn't surprise me she spills a regular cup so much. i think you should try to transition if you can though. hopefully it works out better for you then us!
    Anonymous

• My 5 year old during the day gets a regular cup. He leaves it out of reach of his sister who is 2. In the car I do give him a sippy-ish cup. I use those cups that are no spill with the valve but they look like an adult coffee cup.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• we take away the sippy around 2 1/2. we don't allow them to run around with cups, they have to be at the table, so spilling isn't really an issue. i would definetly be giving a regular cup by now.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2009