Bloody noses

My son got a bloody nose 3 times today. Not sure why. Just all of a sudden it would start dripping blood. I have him lean his head back laying down till it stops. I'm not sure what is causing this. And what do I do to stop it. I made a mistake of having him blow it and then he started coughing up blood. Help!

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 8:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Health

• applying ice to the bridge of the nose, leaning forward will help as well. Don not have him lay down. Swallowed blood makes for a nasty upset stomach. Is it very dry where you are? Dry air is often a reason people get nose bleeds. Does your son show any signs of new bruising from no apparent injury? If so call your Dr for an appt on Maonday. IF not, try putting some vaselline on a qtip and swab the inside of his nostrils. My youngest so still has to do this to avoid nosebleeds from overdryness. People who take allergy medicine often have this problem also.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Dont have him lean back, that allows the blood to pool at the back of the throat, etc. apply pressure but have him lean forward, his bodies own clotting factors will clot/stop the bleeding.. I would call the Dr if they continue.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• OMG do not have him tilt his head back you could actually kill him if it forms a clot in his Pharynx! lean forward apply light pressure using ice to do the hold

get him tested for genetic bleeding disorders-- it was one of the cardinal signs I put off for 4 years with my DD found out she has Von Willebrands Disease-- dont rush to the Er just call your pedi mention it to him and when he's do for his next physical ask them to test
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2009