HELP! MY SON WONT EAT!!

my 19mth old son will not eat anything but junk!! I have tried everything from lettin him feed himself to doin it for him, i'm so frustrated! Hew ill not eat any meat or veggies, just fruit,cereal,and yogurt...plus the junk like cookies and cheetos(which he gets at snacktime) Ive tried feedin him what i eat and he fights me.All he wants to do is drink himself full. He is probably between 23-25 lbs and he is 32in so he looks small. My question is, is his weight okay for 19mths bein at 23lbs? and any lunch and dinner ideas? It would be greatly appreciated!!

sara3308

Asked by sara3308 at 8:44 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• stop giving him the junk for snacks. kids are smarter than you think. if he knows you're going to give him snacks later, then he'll refuse to eat his lunch knowing he'll get what he wants later. just cook like you would for yourself. give it to him, if he doesn't eat, then he goes hungry. don't worry, he won't starve himself, he'll eat when he's hungry enough, as for now though, use V8 Fusion juice. it gives him his fruits and veggies, and calms your nerves.
    Anonymous

• k children should only have about 4ozs a day of juice and milk with meals. Water the rest of the time. Sounds like your little one is drinking himself full. Watch the fluids and See if that makes a difference. I have a similar problem except daddy likes to spoil him and then he won't eat dinner. Kids will eat when they are hungry. Hope things go well!
    fireangel0310

Answer by fireangel0310 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I tried that it broke his lil butt out cuz its so acidic. He had an acid reluxx problem when he was younger, I guess that might be why.
    sara3308

Answer by sara3308 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I would offer a meal. If he doesn't eat he goes hungry until the next one. NO SNACKS. A child will not starve himself. I actually started doing this a month ago with my LO at 14 mos. In one month she has missed one lunch and one dinner. She was very hungry for the next meal and ate what was put in front of her. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Try to limit snacks and liquids between meals to encourage his little tummy to be hungry for his meals. At the mealtime, give him 20 minutes to finish his meal. The don't feed him again until the next meal. You are just trying to encourage him to know what it feels like to be hungry, NOT to "train him" to not be a picky eater. He's still very little. Don't turn food into a battle zone-you'll regret it later. And don't take a "me vs. my toddler" attitude that a lot of moms on cafemom seem to have. Work WITH him, and things will turn out much better than an "It's all or nothing" type of approach.
    Anonymous

• Just a warning with the v8 fusion..not too much at a time...my son throws up everytime if i give him more than half a sippy cup a day. Urs may be different but thats just my experience i would just take it slow till you know what he can handle
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 2:58 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My son is 13 months and is going through the same thing...slowly everyday he eats less and less of everything he normally eats...eats no fruits or veggies...and as far as meats go he's slowly cutting those out. Its annoying and frustrating but I think I'm about to try what the others said and let him starve till he eats what I make him. Im outta things to feed him and its getting annoying fixing 5 things at one meal and wasting them all bc he wont eat them. Good luck
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 3:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• try not letting him have a drink till he has finished half his food...i had to do this with my youngest cause she would drink all her drink and then not eat...and put your foot down mama! serve what everyone else is having...he wont eat it, then he doesnt get anything else...at least make sure there is ONE thing on the plate he will eat so you know he is eating something....but dont compromise!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2009