How long (if their are no complications) are women usually out of work after having a baby?

Don't worry, I'm not going to rely on any one answer b/c I know that anything could happen to keep me out longer than expected, but I'm just curious as to what is a normal amt of time out of work after having a baby, and not having any complications...... I have heard anywhere from a minimum of 3wks to 6wks to more.

autumnstar68

Asked by autumnstar68 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• your body would probably be ready within 3 weeks, depending on how physical your job is. BUT you will likely be exhausted and your baby will still be nursing frequently, so you would probably not want to start working full time for quite a bit longer.

i started going to class after about 3 weeks, but just being away for maybe 10 hours per week. then at 3 mos, i started working pretty much full time again. i wish i had longer because my son was still waking up a LOT, and i was so tired.

good luck! and congrats :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• If you go all natural you can get a Dr's note 10 days after delivery-- most women take at least 6 weeks and I took a year-- what in your life could be more important then staying and careing for your child? why would you want to go back unless you had too?
    Anonymous

• oh, and of course once you start working you will miss your baby sooo much and wish that you could be home more. and once you start working you will have to work hard to keep your milk supply up with pumping and all, if you breastfeed. definitely doable, but it can be tough at first.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• 6-8 weeks. my doc told me 6 wks, but i haven't delivered yet. im almost done! yes! october 23rd is my due date!
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• something else you might want to do to help things out is look up ways to prevent c-section in a hospital. that way you won't have to worry about an extra-long painful recovery :)
    Anonymous

• I was out 8 weeks but had a c-section. A friend of mine went back to work a week and half after the baby was here. It was either that or not be able to pay bills, buy diapers, feed themselves, pay for the house.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I'd take as much as your job will let you if you can afford to. Otherwise at least a month.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 3:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2009