My 13 month son likes to hit, scratch, bite me, but not my husband. Is this normal and how can I discourage him from doing this as it hurts me?

Meghan2008

Asked by Meghan2008 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is the same way, mostly with hitting. He also likes to poke and scratch at my mouth when I am holding him, and try to pick at a mole on my clavicle all of which is painful. I just grab both of his arms and say "no hitting" or something like that, and hold on to him until he settles down. Depending on how often he is doing it that day, sometimes I will be a little louder. Then I tell him to "be nice to mommy, show mommy how nice you are" and then he will pet my arm or something like that. Good luck!
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 10:21 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• bust his butt ! ! ! !
    Anonymous

• At an older age, I do not necessarily disagree with spanking, but when you are trying to teach a toddler not to hit by hitting him, I think that is working against you.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 12:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• try timeout my youngest does that to me and if you spank her then she just hits more!!! get a chair put him where there is no toys around him and make him sit there for a min or two
    lovinmygurls

Answer by lovinmygurls at 1:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I have a 13 month old who is just discovering he can bite and get a reaction. I put my finger either on his lips or under his chin, look him straight in the eye, and tell him "no bite!" in a strict voice. My other 2 never did this, so it is new to me, but it seems to work. Also, like PP said, tell him to be nice to mommy. You need to work on it now, because the longer he gets away with it, the worse he will be to try and stop!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2009