Do you have to put a time limit on how long your child showers?

My oldest will be 7 this month. She takes 2nd place in the "world's longest shower" contest. She is second to my almost 5 year old son. We have now started limiting how long my 7 year old can be in the shower. She gets 15 minutes, which I feel is quite generous, and then the water will be turned to cold for the remainder of the shower. So far, we've never had to actually do that. She has quit messing around. Are we the only ones that have to limit shower time?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 9:58 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Seeing as how I am never in there less than 30 mins myself, I can't see how I would have any right to limit them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• If I let my son have his way he'd do the same thing but he gets 20 mins max.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Put a clock timer in the bathroom.
    Anonymous

• Nope, my 13 year old has the habit of taking 45 minute showers, but he isn't always just showeing when he is in there. He gets his "private" time during his shower.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I have 4 kids. If I didn't limit their time, at least one of them would have a cold shower. :(
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• WOW I cant believe your kids take showers that long. Seriously, Austin, my 9 year old will get in the shower, I will walk outside and smoke a cigarette and before I am done he is out and drying off. That is less than 5 minutes and includes undressing!! He takes the winning prize in "World's Fastest Showerer!!" I was thinking of putting a timer in the bathroom for the exact oppisite reason. TOO FUNNY!!
    dianna2402

Answer by dianna2402 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Dianna, Elijah is worse than Abigail. It wouldn't be such a big deal if we had more than one bathroom but when 5 people who need to shower are sharing, you can't linger like that!
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 10:43 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I don't have that problem. :) But my parents did with me. My step-dad was very anti-shower. The hot water cost too much money for him, even though at the time he was a multi-millionaire. We lived in a modest house for his income, drove paid off, modest vehicles (A Dodge Caravan and a Ford Ranger) and he STILL got irritated with me taking showers. At the time, HIS kids were still taking baths. They put a 10 minute timer on me. But there were times that the timer would still be going and he'd come bang on the door till I got out. It was very humiliating! He even did that to a friend of mine that was sleeping over! He also didn't want me to take a shower every day, only every other day. So I ended up taking showers right when I got home from school so he wouldn't be there. My mom didn't care, but he did.

Anyway, because of that, I'll have a hard time limiting my kids, but I completely understand why you do!!!!
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Kelly...Maybe I should take a trip to your place and Elijah and Abi can teach Austin how to take a decent shower. Heck what is a few more people in your place..lol.
    dianna2402

Answer by dianna2402 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• The more the merrier!!
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 9:23 AM on Oct. 6, 2009