umbilical cord ?

My baby is going to be 1 week old tomorrow and today her umbilical cord got snagged on her diaper and is hanging by a small part of it now. Is that okay? It's bleeding a little and there's some clear drainage, normal or not? and what should I do for it? Should I put alcohol on it still or just keep it dry til it falls off? any special way to clean it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your baby is okay. It's normal to have this happen. Best advice I can give is to fold the top of her diaper down so her tummy can finish healing. Don't use any soap on her tummy when you clean her. If you see any redness or pus forming, don't hesitate to call Doc.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like its about ready to fall off! It is very normal to have clear drainage, its a sign it is not at all infected. You can put some rubbing alcohol on it if you want but you don't have to, just keep it dry.
    mommyofJames08

Answer by mommyofJames08 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My DD's was the same way. it was hanging from like a white string it looked like. then i was carrying her downstairs one day and it snagged on my robe and fell off. it was kinda open still tho after it fell off and it was fine. just keep cleaning it and she should be A OK! lol
    Anonymous

• both my sons were that way...their doc said to keep cleaning around the belly button with an acohol wipe until it is gone....best of luck with ur little one
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I agree it's normal and to just keep cleaning it!
    momrocks1000

Answer by momrocks1000 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 4, 2009