Thinning hair for mom after having a baby?

Right after i had my son (he's now 3 months old) my hair got really thick, and I figured from my hormones doing their thing. Well, now my hair is thinning out, i have to sweep my bathroom floor like every other day because the counter and floor are covered, and the drain looks like a small animal everytime i get out of the shower, and my hair doesn't even touch my shoulders... is this normal?

1st_time_mom23

Asked by 1st_time_mom23 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Health

• It's okay hun! It's called postpartum alopecia. Your hair will grow back. It's your hormones. If you start having bald spots go to the doctor. Other than that just relax and use things like NIOXIN or Paul Mitchell Tea Tree products for scalp health to keep your follicles clear of debris that could hinder regrowth!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• My hair started falling out when both of my kids were around 6-7 months of age. Especially during and right after a shower. I read that your hair normally falls out when you're not pregnant and once you become pregnant, the loss of hair starts to slow down due to hormones. Once you actually have the baby, your hormones start to regulate again and all the hair that was supposed to fall out during your pregnancy is now falling out post partum. So yes, it is totally normal. Just make sure you keep your hair trimmed and groomed. Once your hormones regulate, the hair loss will taper down and get back to normal.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 11:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I always have very thick coarse hair, and when I was pregnant each time, it was georgous...until it started falling out, it became dull and lifeless compared to pregnant hair. I am still losing hair by handfulls and my youngest turns eight months in a few days. I've read and Dr. confirmed that it is really very normal, and because of hormones. I only feel like I might go bald...but in real life...I will be fine. Even after two kids, I will have thick, coarse, healthy hair...it just feels like I am cleaning my brush constantly.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 11:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• yep happened to me too. I have spots in my hair that are short and lame now (my son is 10 months) good news is that it's growing! Hang in there and take your vitamins.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Oct. 5, 2009