frustration w/ breastfeeding! Need advice PLZ!

i have a 4 week old daughter who has been nursing great. starting this morning she hasnt had much intrest and while she nurses she constantly latches off and then just tries to suck my nipple. This is so frustrating. once she actually latches she falls asleep in less than a minute. seriously one minute! Im so scared my milk supply is going to lessen if this keeps up. I breastfed my last daughter for 15 month and never had this issue. I really wanna make it work its just getting irritating. any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pump after each feeding to keep up your milk
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• it could be a phase of some sort.... babies tend to go through phases where they eat a lot for a few days... and can barely eat for a few days... I suggest (other than calling a lactation consultant) pumping extra so you don't lose a supply... and waiting it out... she will get her appetite back I'm sure.... (especially around 6 wks, she will go thru a growth spurt
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 11:06 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I agree, babies go through so many growth spurts and then slowdowns, that it's very normal for her appetite to fluctuate as well. My dd went through a period where she would fall asleep as soon as she started nursing, then would wake up a few minutes later hungry. I was advised that if I would gently rub her jaw in a circle while she was dozing off nursing she would "remember" to keep nursing, while she was falling asleep.

I did that, and it really helped - she would finish nursing and not wake up a few minutes later hungry.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• try pumping befor u feed ur baby,even if it seems u have pumped all ur milk the baby seems to always get some out.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Just because she falls asleep doesn't mean she's done. She could be nursing in her sleep. Here's a tip. If you are EBF, and changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, she is getting enough. I don't think that your supply will be greatly effected because of this. It's normal behavior, and next week, you will probably have the opposite problem. She will probably be nursing constantly, and you will be at your wits end over that! That's what they do. Anything to make you crazy. Just keep nursing on demand, and more then likely, things will be just fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:40 AM on Oct. 5, 2009