breastfeeding/pumping question

I tried breastfeeding in the hospital and my baby had a hard time latching on and she kept gagging all night so I decided to pump instead. Well now that I'm pumping I've realized that I produce only a small amount of milk and then it's like I'm completely out. I can only get about 2 ounces out of one side and 1 1/2 ounces on the other side...no matter how long it's been since I've pumped. Is that normal? I feel like I'm not producing enough milk and it's getting hard to have milk ready for the baby. She's a week old and starting to eat a little more than 2 ounces at a time and I keep running out of milk for her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It will do that. Pumps are not as effective at getting the milk out as the mouth of a newborn is. Maybe you could try the latching on again. It took at least a week maybe a week and a half to finally get the latch on thing down with both my children. It was different with each one and was like I had never done it before when I had my daughter. It is frustrating but worth it all in the end. Good luck Momma!!!
    MamaCass05

Answer by MamaCass05 at 11:14 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I would strongly suggest that you stop pumping and try to have her nurse again. If you keep working with her, she'll get the hang of latching on, a lot faster than you might think :-) and I promise, she won't choke to death or anything like that nursing.

But, the thing is, for a lot of women, especially when they're first trying to establish their milk supply, pumping does NOT stimulate the production.

If you start nursing her, and nurse her on demand, without pumping or anything, then your milk production will go back up, and in just a day or two, you're going to be producing plenty of milk.

Also though, you don't want to do a lot of supplementing during this time, either, because the more she nurses, the more milk you'll make.

I know it's hard, but please, trust me, if you do this, it will work out for you both. If you have any problems with latching on, please contact a lactation specialist, they can help.

gl
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I would try to get her to nurse again. Its normal not to get much out when you pump because even the best pumps aren't near as efficient as the baby when it comes to getting milk. Just keep trying with her and she will get it.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I agree with the others -- just try nursing again. It took a loooong time for my son (and me) to get the hang of it, but we did! Be persistent and confident that it will work out. Oh, and even when I was established, I could never pump out enough for him to take from a bottle, so it goes to show that pumping is not nearly as good as nursing. Good luck!
    veggie_kitty

Answer by veggie_kitty at 11:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2009