pumping ?

I tried breastfeeding in the hospital and my baby had a hard time latching on and she kept gagging all night so I decided to pump instead. Well now that I'm pumping I've realized that I produce only a small amount of milk and then it's like I'm completely out. I can only get about 2 ounces out of one side and 1 1/2 ounces on the other side...no matter how long it's been since I've pumped. Is that normal? I feel like I'm not producing enough milk and it's getting hard to have milk ready for the baby. She's a week old and starting to eat a little more than 2 ounces at a time and I keep running out of milk for her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• keep trying to get her to latch on dont give up!when a baby is on the breast they get wayy more milk out of your breast then a pump .instead of giving her regular bottles get first years breast flow bottles.it basically makes the baby feel as if there sucking on the breast.there are thing you can do to produc more milk as well.drink 1 bottle of guinness stout beer a day.i do because my mother grandmother and great grandmother and so on did.i pump 4 oz out of 1 breast and about 3 out the other.try to pump every 3 or 4 hours because the more your baby sucks n the more you pump your body tends to produce more milk quicker.good luck with everything.if you have any other questions write me.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 11:16 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• oh yea and other things to help your body to produce more milke is drinking lots of water, some people say drinking milk and pumping more.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 11:17 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I had similiar situation. And I eventually dried up....but supposedly according to EVERYONE pumping shouldn't have been the sole reason to have dried up. But I had to supplement from day one with formula as well. So we mixed half milk with half formula, because my milk wasn't as nutritious as it should have been either. But I gave it all I had until I couldn't anymore. And actually when my son went solely on formula, his weight and stuff erupted LOL He is totally wonderful and healthy at 13 months. If it doesn't work out, just remember you did what you could and that is better than nothing at all. Drink lots of milk and water, and eat lots of healthy food too, see if that helps with milk production.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:18 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• oh yeah, and for her falling asleep.....strip her down to diaper and wipe her with a wet wash cloth to keep her awake and stimulated. that was what our peditrician suggested. wipe her feet or other parts of her body. she may be annoyed, but at least isn't falling asleep LOL
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I pumped for 8 months. Make sure you are eating/drinking enough. There are some herbal stuff you can take to increase your supply(google it). Make sure you keep pumping for 3 - 5 minutes AFTER you stop getting any. This will tell your body you need more milk.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• i'm pumping right now, since my baby is in the NICU. My lactation nurses all initially said to pump at least 8 times a day, for 20 minutes at a time, even if the milk stops flowing. Get up at least once to pump overnight, too. Initially I did this, PLUS I drank a 16oz bottle of water each time I pumped. Now I don't have to be as stringent with the routine, as my milk supply is good. That said, every person is different, but if you keep trying, your supply will probably grow. Your pedi's office or the hospital may have a lactation consultant you can talk to. I found the ones at my hospital to be really helpful. Good luck!
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 1:01 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• leave the pump running on u for 10 minutes even if nothing comes out,sometimes it took me like 5minutes to get something out.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Unfortunately, this is an average pumping amount. Babies almost always get more at the breast then the pump does, and at this young an age, I would work on getting the baby onto the breast. Your local La Leche League can help, and they are free, or you can find an IBCLC in your area. If you are absolutely not going to try to nurse directly, then I'd suggest pumping at least every 2 hrs, for 15-20 mins on each side, even through the night. What kind of pump are you using?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:36 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Babies are more efficient then the pump for most women so this is no indication of your actual supply. I would try putting the baby to breast and see if LO can latch now. See a lactation consultant for help or visit your local LLL meetings for help. If that doesn't work then I would increase your time pumping. Keep pumping for 5-10 minutes after flow stops to signal your body to make more milk. When babe wants more supply they keep suckling even if there is nothing coming out to signal the body to make more. Make sure you are getting enough calories and water. Check out www.kellymom.com for more advice.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• You know...at one week you can EASILY get her on the breast...if you're interested, drop by the breastfeeding moms group. Never too late till you've had a mastectomy.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2009