How many of you have had jobs that bans religion talk?

A little surprise about some answers I saw on another post. I have had jobs where people pull out their bibles as if there is a 2nd revival going on in the building.

I have never been told I was not allowed to talk about my religion. I had a few times that I wasn't allowed to talk personal stuff on the clock but during break it was anything goes.

While it may be a poor choice to talk about your religion is it legal to ban religious talk during breaks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a stylist. In the salon we don't talk, religion, sex, politics, or race issues. If a client is ranting about any of these we are told to politely change the subject so not to offend other clients. As for breaks, I don't see how it's hurting anything as long as the others in the conversation are participating. If it's bothering people you work with then yes, that's a problem. They don't come to work for church, they come to pay their bills. They have their own beliefs that they have at home too. It can cause problems in the workplace. Agree to disagree and keep it appropriate. Is there a dyer need to discuss this at work?
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• but was it banned during break? I am not asking if we HAVE to talk about it, I don't understand how a place of employment can order your free speech away during breaks.
    Anonymous

• Depends on the break, they are allowed to put limits on payed breaks, but unpaid breaks they cannot, if they want to put limits on it, they must pay you, at least here. We were always told not to have those discussions in front of customers because we could not make them feel like the store embraced certain views, but in the breakroom it was fair game as long as it was not bashing or discriminatory.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• Okay, you are missing the point. If it's on their facility and they don't want you to it it's probably regulated. And if someone is saying that to you it might be their way of trying to tell you to tone it down, or maybe someone complained about it. If you fight stuff like that they find other reasons to "lay" you off. Trust me I've seen this. They just won't say it's because of that. Whats more important to you? Speaking about religion on your break or keeping your job?
    Anonymous

• If you talk about sex off the clock it can still be considered sexual harassment, religion can be taken offensively by others and twisted to seem like harassment. Would you be offended if others talked about the Koran, or worshiping Satan on their break? I mean, it's off the clock.....
    Anonymous

• anon :36 there really isn't a point. I am just surprised that so many people are saying they had jobs that didn't allow religion talk during breaks. I can understand with clients or customers but personal conversation on breaks seems like a violation.

I don't even have a job so I guess what would be more important to me is speaking religion because that is one of the two choices that I actually can do.
    Anonymous

• Would you be offended if others talked about the Koran, or worshiping Satan on their break?
    __

when I was pregnant I worked until my last month. It was my 6th kid and I was asked daily if I was Catholic because Catholics have more kids.

There was a guy who routinely spoke about the Koran. There was one kid that spoke about satanism during break all the time. In fact he wore an upside cross. We also had a few Jewish workers that were openly talked about their religion. I can't remember one complaint about it. Our break room held two tables and 4 vending machines so it wasn't easy to get away. The only rule we had was not trash talking the company in the break room, but people still did that.
    Anonymous

• oh and many of those religion talks were ON the clock. We just didn't have sticks up our butt and threatened by others.
    Anonymous

• Well it comes down to this: If you really wanted to pull threads, if it's on their property it could be considered a form of harassment if someone were to complain about it.
    Anonymous

• BTW, no one said they were threatened about it. It just starts shit, a lot of people don't want to hear it and it bothers them for whatever reason.
    Anonymous