Full moon=broken bag of waters?

I've been looking into this theory because it's a full moon tonight and I'm 11 days away from my due date. Don't get me wrong, I would love for my water to break tonight. But rumor has it (and maybe there's a little bit of scientific fact in there too) that when the gravitational pull from a full moon pops your bag of waters, it does so without your body's consent...therefor labor doesn't start. Some hospitals have extra staff on duty these nights because women that are really close to their due dates tend to go into labor when the moon is full. And then there are women who still have a few weeks left, and the full moon makes them THINK that real labor is happening, when really it's just false labor...or worse, prematurely ruptured waters.
What's your take on this theory? Is it a load of hoopla or do you think there's some smarts behind it? Did you go into labor close to a full moon? Please share any relevant stories!

momma_shuler

Asked by momma_shuler at 11:31 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've heard of this actually. I don't know the exact details, but midwives at this birthing center in florida say they get overloads of women in labor when it happens.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:32 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I had PROM with both of my kids. One was when it was a new moon, the other a full moon. I and I am a NICU nurse and never really noticed a lot of deliveries around full moons either. For instance this weekend wasn't all that busy, but last week was slammin'.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 11:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• well as a woman who is with in 2 weeks of her due date, i HOPE this happens. I need this baby out! lol.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• The nurse practitioner that I saw when I was pregnant with my son said its all a lot of phooey. But one can be hopeful right?
    MamaCass05

Answer by MamaCass05 at 11:55 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I've heard something about the new moon. I'm not sure though bc I don't remember what the moon phase was with my other 3 kids lol I would love to look it up.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 12:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I had all of mine early and all on full moons. My mom came to the hospital when I thought I was only having cramps and said "its a full moon!" I said "what does that mean" so she says "it means that I'm going home and you're not!" and sure enough I had my baby girl that night.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 12:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2009