How long did you bleed after giving birth? If you had a tear or episiotomy, how long did it take for your stitches to dissolve?

I'm on day 17 and my stitches are still intact and my 1st degree tear is still irritating me. I'm still bleeding a little, though I never did bleed a huge amount. Just anxious to be healed up! My tailbone still hurts, too....

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 11:47 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't know how bad my tear was, but there was a fair amount of stitches. I bled for at least 6 weeks (heavily for about a week or so), so don't worry! Just take it easy -- I was almost done with my lochia when I decided to lift a tote in the garage. That kicked up my bleeding for about 5 days.
    veggie_kitty

Answer by veggie_kitty at 11:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I had a c-section and I still bled for 5 weeks.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:50 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• my baby turned a month on oct 2nd and im lightly bleeding.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 11:56 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I bled for 6 months after I gave birth. I didn't even tear either.
    Jenny614

Answer by Jenny614 at 12:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I bled for about 10 days afterwards, I got 4 stitches and they felt like they'd disolved in about a week or so... everyones body is different though.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 12:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I bled for almost a month. My stitches got infected, (second degree tear) so they had to be taken out after a week. That was pain like you wouldn't believe.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:57 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I had a c-section but I bleed for almost 8 weeks.
    adg0114

Answer by adg0114 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I do remember it seemed like my stitches and irritation were there forever! And I was like you, just a one-degree. I left the hospital somehow thinking the stitches would be gone in ten days, but when I called back, they said 6 weeks! They did not irritate me for that long, but they probably did for a month, anyway. I wish I had known about herbal sitz baths earlier on. I finally did that and it was really soothing, but I wish I'd done it right away. Look it up online. You can usually get the ingredients at your local healhfood store. GL!

Oh, and another thing I figured out on my own--use those wet wipes instead of TP. They told me to "blot" not wipe, and that left little bits of TP stuck to me! Ugh! I got wet wipes and they were so much more comfortable!
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 4:48 PM on Sep. 6, 2010