How did you leave your abusive husband/partner?

I just don't know what to do anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 PM on Oct. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• I can't answer your question 'cause I've never been in your situation, but just wanted to encourage you. I hope you find the way out, and the future where you can thrive and blossom. I'm sure it's going to be a rough road, but glad you are wanting to do something about it! Hold your head up, find the answers your looking for....
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:52 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• I moved to another state. 10 hours away, and never looked back. I'm not going to say it wasn't hard. It was hard as hell! but it wasn't as hard as having to look at bloody scars in the mirror, or explain to my mother why my already dark skin was bruised. I look at it as a learning experience. I'd never go through it again though.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 11:53 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• my 1st was abusive.i was 14 turning 15 and he was 17 turning 18.i got 2 high school and i started realizing i can do better.and i ended it and he got on his knees n started crying begging me to take him back n i wouldnt.i changed my number and never chilled around where he knew i chilled because he would show up.he still hates me to this day and im 19 yrs old now.he sees me on the street and he looks at me like hes possessed by a demon.really creepy.but ill cut him if he ever tried anything lol.you really have to detatch yourself the safest way possible and you have to really realize your worth so much more and so is your life.the fighting will eventually end up in death and im sure you dont want that.i went through it with him for almost 3 yrs..but i grew up and learned.good luck i hope you get the courage to leave him and make a better life for yourself.if you need 2 talk to some1 im here.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 12:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Do you have any family? In any other states maybe?
    I would try and make arrangements with them.
    Then have a suitcase ready to go. When he goes to work, take your car, taxi, bus, whatever you have to do to get away and never look back. Do you have little ones? I would even consider filing a restraining order and see what the police have to say if you told them you wanted to leave with your children. Keep a log of eveytime hes hit you, if thats the case. Or even set up a hidden camera, no judge would watch a man abusing his wife/kids and grant joint custody.
    good luck to you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I slowly packed things up in laundry baskets...to make it look like I just hadn't put the laundry away yet.....Then stopped buying groceries and saved up that money...sure I got bitched at but I knew in my head what I was up and stuck too it. Then I called the schools and said I was picking up my kids and needed their records because I was moving.
    I went to my moms for 30 days...she had a tiny 1 bedroom rental and I could only stay 30 days.
    From there I went to my sisters and talked my way into an apt. was on welfare for a year and got a job with the school district so I could have the same days off as my kids. ( I was a lunch lady)
    You have to be strong and stay strong!! Trust in God and he will not fail you.....life has it's bumps just ride them out and the path will get smoother with the right decisions
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I would like to know too!!!!

Not physical abuse, lots of emotional abuse. I learned to be numb to it.

I have no parents to run to. I got laid off. I cannot get an apartment; I cannot afford an apartment, and I don't have a job to get approved for an apartment.

He's not my daughters father, so no battles there.

There are days that I'll just sleep in my car.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2009