..???why?

i keep seeing 3-4 yr olds with pacies.
I cant stand seeing it. what age is to old to be giving ur child a paci???? why are they using them???? my daughter never needed one...its ridicules...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can't stand seeing it? Don't look at it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I do think there's a point where it's a little much, but I also understand that sometimes there are circumstances beyond what we, as a casual observer, know about. For example, some kids, after going through a traumatic or otherwise life changing experience will regress, where fighting with them over the pacifier will do more harm than letting them have it in the short term.

I'm talking about things like the death or deployment of a parent, or the birth of a new baby in the family, they've just made a major move, etc.

Though honestly, sometimes it's just a matter of laziness on behalf of the parent, in not wanting to wean the child from it.

btw - my oldest did use a pacifier, and he used it into his toddlerhood - we moved from Alaska to Newfoundland, and I was pg again. It was a lot of changes, and the pacifier was a comfort thing for him while he adjusted.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My daughter will be 2 next monday and we will be throwing them all in the garbage the very next day. I think that 2 years old is old enough for them to be able to soothe themesleves with a blanket or a favorite toy. My daughter has a sock monkey that she tends to use more when she is upset then a pacifier. I must agree that with you when I see a 3 o4 yr old with a pacifer it makes me wonder why? I think that some parents just use them to keep the kids from throwing a temper tuntrum. Hence the name pacifier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Oh, and I should add that when I say toddlerhood, I truly mean toddler - not pre-schooler.

But, really, if you think about it, how is being attached to a pacifier for comfort any different than being attached to a particular blanket or toy or whatever.

It's what makes you and your child comfortable :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• [[...theres always got to be a smart ass anon ...]]

yea i think it is a comfort thing.. or it very well could be the parents being lazy twith it.. or keeping them from throwing tantrums...but that is to old for me.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• my daughter will be 4 in dec. and still uses hers to fall asleep at night. she doesn't have it for any thing else, she doesn't have a fave toy or blankie i've tried getting her stuffed animals etc...and the reason she still has it, right before she turned 1 i wanted it gone, we had a major move, my hubby deployed 2 weeks later, so by the time she got used to him gone he was home again. than gone again 8 months later, than home again, than i found out i was preg again and than he left again, than we moved again. in that time, most of my family also moved away (we moved closer to family) so she "lost" 2 aunts, an uncle, her grandpa, and her "aunties friend" (husband) due to the military moving them all. so if that is her one comfort object, and she has it in her mouth for all of 5 mins to fall asleep than so be it. is it laziness on my part, i'll admit partly yes, i can't find a way that works for her to make it gone. and CONT
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• i don't have the heart to take it away and let her scream herself to sleep for a week. b/c she'd scream for hours on end, she is that stubborn, i tried it one night, she screamed for 6 hours didn't fall asleep til i gave in. and yes i admit i gave in. i've tried them going to a noonie fairy, to little babies, just throwing them out, phasing it out, cold turkey, replacing w/something else nothing works for us. i'm at my wits end as to what to do, b/c like i said she'll scream for hours, and i can't just sit here and listen to it w/o losing my mind. let the bashing begin, i don't care anymore really what anyone else has to say about how i raise my daughter.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:37 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• vabchmommy,

I'm sorry you and your lo are going through that - your situation is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about though. Sometimes, due to circumstances that are beyond our control and are definitely beyond our little one's control or understanding, we - and more importantly - they - are shoved into situations that are overwhelming for them, and if a pacifier is something that helps them, as toddlers, deal with things that most adults don't have to deal with, then I think to let them have it is a relatively small thing in the grand scheme of life.

I hope things go easier for you all with the PCS and deployments!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• my 16month old only gets her when she goes to sleep,i dont let her walk around with it. i just weaned her from the breast and then im gonna try potty training shortly,after that then i will take it away, im doing one change at a time
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• because it is a very effective MUTE button! lol. My son stopped right before he turned 3. never used one till his lil bro came along, then it became a monkey see monkey do thing. now my 3yr old doesnt even want it any more, he'd much rather be a "big boy". my 21 month old still uses it. At the end of the day, if it keeps them quiet and is not terrible affecting their health, then i let them have it.
    VegasMommiOf2

Answer by VegasMommiOf2 at 4:10 AM on Oct. 5, 2009