Would you recommend not having or having a episiotomy?

I REALLY dont want one. I want to try to let the baby descend to the birth canal and not push until the babys head is almost crowning. Is it better to get one or to not get one. I know people that have told me not to have one and my mom tells me to have one. And my friend didnt have one and didnt even tear.

Marah2008

Asked by Marah2008 at 12:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think it is better to tear naturally if you must because you will heal faster.
    mommyofJames08

Answer by mommyofJames08 at 1:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• well when i had my DD i talked to the Dr and he said its better if u tear naturally(heals faster,)than if u get it done intentionally..so i recommend that it should tear on ots own
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 1:04 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• there is NO proof that says that getting cut will prevent a tear..in fact you are more likely to tear MORE if you get cut!! I wish I could say I tore, but I got cut because they needed to cut me in order to get forceps IN in order to get my baby OUT! anyways..think of it like this if you try to tear a piece of material it is pretty hard to do, BUT if you cut it a tiny bit and then try to tear it..it tears A LOT easier.. try to go without, BUT if you need it, DONT FEEL BAD ABOUT GETTING IT DONE!!! sometimes it IS for the best, Thank GOD I dint tear on top of the cut, but I am 6 weeks pp and still have issues:P I totally reccomend NOT getting one!!!!
    TippyD

Answer by TippyD at 1:04 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I would recommend not. Natural tears heal better than episiotomies. Doctors prefer episiotomies because a cut is easier to stitch than a tear. I doubt you could do that though. Not push until the baby is almost crowning. The urge to push comes WAY before that, and it is pure hell trying to fight it. The best way to do it is to just do what your body tells you to do. Push when you feel the urge, stop pushing when you don't. And when you feel that burning sensation start that means the baby is crowning, pant through a whole contraction to give your tissues a chance to stretch. Best way to avoid a tear.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• wow tippy I never thought of it that way and I think you are right!! If you already have a cut more than likely you will tear more. makes sense
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 1:13 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• my doctor stretched me as I was pushing and I didnt tear when I had a 9 pound baby becasue of that! The nurses were saying they cant believe I didnt tear but I was so greatful. With my first one I tore up! OUCH! See if your doctor does the stretching thing when you are in labor I thought they all did it now.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 1:14 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• i wouldn't. i had one, and didn't need it if they had allowed me time to stretch.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 9:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• DON'T unless absolutely necessary. tearing naturally is less painful and heals faster and better. less likely to have longer term problems too. do some research on it online :) gl!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I had one. Honestly I never felt anything. Let the doctor decide what's best for you.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I didn't have one and didn't tear with my 10lb baby!
    MarigoldsMama

Answer by MarigoldsMama at 12:56 AM on Oct. 6, 2009