what to do

my son is 6months and for whatever reason his sleep patteren is all messed up he used to go to bed at 8pm ever night on the dot we would just lay him in his crib hed play and talk to himself watch his projection light monitor and go to sleep. now for whatever reason he doesnt want to go to bed till almost 9:30 and he wont just lay in there and go to sleep on his own he wants to be rocked or held then once he is asleep he wakes up 2hours later and just screams it breaks my heart i dont know whats wrong i go right to him i hold him and try to calm him i even try nursing him. i dont understand whats going on. how do i get him back on shedual?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's probably having a growth spurt. Also possibly teething. All babies go through these things. You just deal with it, give him what he needs, and he'll settle into a routine again. It may not be the same routine, but things will settle out.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• First thing that came to mind was teething! You can try Tylenol before he goes to bed and/or Baby Oragel. Also, do a bedtime routine. Bath, book, bottle, bed - or whatever works for you. Sometimes they get out of their patterns and we have to be patient. My youngest is going through some strange sleep patterns right now too. He will wake up several times during the night and cry. I just pat his back or rub his head and he will usually fall back to sleep. If not, I rock him. Maybe that's not the "right" thing to do, but we both enjoy it. Just keep the lights low, maybe try a paci if you like them, and maybe instead of picking him up, you could try to pat/rub his back. HTH
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• my daughter moved her bedtime from 8:30pm and 10pm a couple weeks ago. I just went with the flow, didnt get mad or "make" her go to bed at 8:30pm.
    Now she's back to her original bed time.
    I think she just wanted to test the waters and set her own schedule for once. She's also 6 months.
    Bernie19

Answer by Bernie19 at 1:46 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My DD is 5 mo and last week she started the same thing. Since bringing her home, she was sooo good at night..basically slept thru the night since day one. Now she is a horror. She screams her head off when being put to sleep and nothing calms her except if you sit her up and let her play. Like she wants some say as to when bedtime should be. Then throughout the night she'll be waking up screaming. I try everything too and nothing seems to calm her. Last night, when she got up, I let her sleep in my bed and it seemed to make it better and she only got up once. I noticed last night that she was really cold even though the heater was on next to her. Perhaps she was just uncomfortable. I wish it were so easy to accept as to go with the flow but we both work during the day and we've been zombies lately. For both our sakes, I hope the babies get back on routine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Growth spurt, teething, or an ear infection are my thoughts. Good Luck!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on Oct. 5, 2009