Pagans. A question about life transitions for your LO's.

Did you do anything spiritual to celebrate these changes in your children. Such as pregnancy, infancy, young childhood, older (school aged) childhood, adolescents, coming of age??

I'm thinking about doing one for my older son here in the next year or so (maybe sooner, depending on how much he grows). Did you do any spiritual transitions with your kids? Got any tips or ideas? Positive stories?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 1:09 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, although Im thinking of doing one when they reach the age of 12/13. Celebrating the start of "manhood" vs childhood.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I have a friend that does this with her children, I am sorry I wish I knew more about it to give you some ideas. I do think its a wonderful thing to celebrate milestones past the first year or two. i do plan on celebrating with my daughter when she hits puberty, the women in my family always did something special when their daughters "became women" I don't know if i would call it spiritual but it was a bonding experience :) I wonder if their are any good books out there on it? I have seen many geared towards adolescents maybe you could find a book of celebrations for young children/adults.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:56 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I have Circle Round. It's a great book geared for helping Pagan parents raise their children in the Goddess tradition. It has helped me a lot and is what gave me the idea to do transition celebrations. I was hoping to hear of others doing them so that i could get more ideas. They only had one transition example in the book. ...so, just wanted to know if others had good experiences with it as well.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Because my DH and I are on separate paths we do not raise our children to be on either. So, we don't include them in any of our religious practices. At the moment my oldest is 3. Now, as he gets older, if he, or his brother, wish to begin searching, they may, and if my path is right for them we will start doing those types of things but for now? No. However... When I brought them home I did ask that the house spirits accept them. I didn't want them to be seen as intruders in the house or be a target for anything that resides with us. Beyond that, I did not.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:01 AM on Oct. 5, 2009