How much dis you spend on your kid's 1st B-day?

Im on a very tight budget & am worried about by son's big day. I know he will not care or remember that we couldnt get much. I got him one outfit, one pair of pjs, thats it! I feel bad I cant spend more. I am throwing a party & inviting a few people.

Amberoz

Asked by Amberoz at 1:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• i spent about $300.00 maybe a little more(but u are so right they dont remeber the party) i invited a whole bunch of ppl and by present time she was fussy and sleepy ...it doesnt matter what u got him they dont know about presents right now, so a little party is fine...
    my mom threw a party for my 4yo bro and he love lightning mc queen but she was on a tight budget so she got the plates , cups, ect..all red and black($1.00 eack pack @ dollar store) then onlt got a banner with mcqueen on it , the candle, and treat bags) it was cheaper that way
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• i spent seriously all together maybe 30 dollars! she got toys and an outfit.i mae sure to get her a toy though..and she had a banner and cups etc.but my mil spoils her..LOL so she had more than enough!
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 2:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• im with naturepeace.....my daughter has more then enough toys, clothes...she did need pj's however...so the gifts we left for the family and friends to get...literally! her cups, plates, napkins, table cloth, and she had a little birthday headband that i got at a dollar store...all averaged at a whopping 15. and some cents!!! her cake was the most expensive part...which i also left up to one of the grandparents! just have fun with it...no need to make it a big deal- your son will be happy if you gave him a box...(they seem to love these more then the toys anyways right)
    Malorhee

Answer by Malorhee at 2:44 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I spent about $20 on the cake, a couple of dollars on the invitations, and maybe $30-$40 on clothes and "big boy" toys. My son had more fun trying to open the presents and playing with the boxes than the presents themselves. We had only invited family and a few close friends to our house for his b-day party. I did, however, spend a good bit on his 1st birthday pictures, but you can probably take some good one's yourself.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:12 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I made a cake with an old Winnie the Pooh pan I had for about $7. I spent about $5 on a first birthday decoration set from Wal-Mart (high chair decoration, hat, drop cloth combo) and then another $5 on plates/napkins. We didn't invite a lot of people, just family, and had sandwiches at my mom's, so anything we had left went to toys/clothes. I think the grand total from my hubby and I was about $40 for food/cake/decor/presents. My LO got sooooo much stuff from family, I was glad that hubby and I hadn't spent too much more. I took lots of pictures, and she had a great time. I have to agree with the empty box and present openings though. That was the coolest part to her. lol You could just wrap a box, in a box, in a box, in a box, in a box.... it will be fun for hours. lol
    BunniBunni

Answer by BunniBunni at 7:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Shoot, I bet I didn't spend more than $30. I got him a big ole plastic car that he could push around, I made him chocolate cupcakes, I let him get it all over him and I tool lots of pictures. 1st birthdays are more for you than for them - they don't remember it. GL Mommy
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:14 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• If you're giving her a party, that's enough. Everyone will bring a gift. Believe me, you'll get more crap that you need.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I think I bought a book and toy for my daughter's first bday. mompam is right, the guests will bring the gifts. I made decorations out of construction paper by cutting a cirlce out of a piece of the paper for every letter of 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY'. It takes up a lot of decorating space and is very bright and colorful. A homemade cake is less expensive and more memorable if you want to do that too.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009