Do you feel trapped on welfare?

i think i really want to get off PA. They want me to depend on them so that they control people, its a conspiracy. my PA is always terminated, then i have to waste a whole day sitting in their office trying to figure out why i was terminated. i dont need their help, im going to get a damn job. then i will know that my paycheck was EARNED. i feel like i'm cheating, using money that's not mine. does anyone relate/agree/disagree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I cannot relate. I've never been on welfare personally. I am on Unemployment. There are days that I wish I had food stamps though.

Unless you lied to them (fraud), you are not cheating. The money is there for those who need it the most.

We'll get a job. Just remember, you are not the only one that is unemployed.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 1:48 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I don't agree. My sister and her husband both lost their jobs this summer (they worked for the same company), and over this fall have been homeless staying with which ever family member has room for them while they've been looking for work.
    My sister found a job as a Nursing assistant but needed an updated CPR/FirstAIDE card. She went to the welfare office and they paid for it for her, they also gave her a $50 gas voucher so that she could make it to the classes! They didn't even have to go on welfare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Im on PA. I cant understand why they give more money to clients that are lazy. My husband started working, now, with PA & a paycheck, we are getting less money. What gives? No wonder people stay on the system over a minimun wage job.

Another thing that irks me is....I am attending a university full time to earn a degree. My child exemtion terminates in two weeks. For workfirst, my school does not count toward it. But if you are getting a GED or doing a 9 month program, they will not require you to do workfirst. SOI I take it, they do not value higher education
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I understand 100%. My DH and I get just over $400 a month in FS. We want OFF... But at the same time we don't want our kids to have to suffer. My DH works full time and brings in about $1200 a month. Which is enough to pay the bills BUT he has some health issues that require bi-monthly drs. apts and medication. He also has to drive 40mins each way to work every day. So we are putting $220 in to gas & med. fees... He car pools when he can, but his schedule doesn't mesh up with anyone elses. I stay home because I was working full time an I brought in $350 every 2 weeks and paid the day care almost $400... So we were loosing money. There is noone else to watch the kids, so I am stuck at home. I work from home now, but we are stuck. Because if we earn another $200 a month so we can be okay, we will loose our $400/mo in FS. And be back in the hole... It's really hard to make that leap from enough with to enough without!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Good fo you!! Join other Job Hunting CafeMoms: http://www.cafemom.com/group/jobhuntingmoms

Answer by rkoloms at 9:44 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I was on welfare for 3 months after my husband left me and my kids. I got a job and have paid my way since. It has not always been easy but I manage and like the Gov has no hold over my family. I did not like having to disclose so much to them to get help it was humiliating and not a good experience. >

I finished my Master's in Accounting last Spring and have my CPA credentials. I have a job making 70k after living on 24k the past 6 years. In 6 months I will be marrying the man of my dreams he makes double what I make so life will be changing for my family in very big way. Had I stayed on welfare and not done for myself I would still be on it now and not living the very full and happy life I live now.  I don't think my soon to be husband would have any respect for me if I was not a fighter.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2009