when can i move my 2.5 yo to a highback booster

She is 30lbs and 34 inches. The reason I am asking is because my 5mon old is getting really irritated with his carrier and I dont want to buy another large carseat. my son can still fit in his carrier but i was thinking about getting my dd a booster. please no bashing i am just being curious.

newmommy61207

Asked by newmommy61207 at 1:37 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'm not sure exactly the weight, i do know it looks like you'll just have to buy a new car seat. my dd is almost 4 and still has to sit in a harness seat, she weighs 39 lbs don't remember her height. but from generalizations of other children and age wise, most kids are in a harness seat til they are about 5 or so. i was hoping mine would be able to pass her seat down to my son b/c he's starting to get annoyed w/his carrier as well, but she's worn the seat cushion out way too much so now i get to buy 2 new seats.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• It depends on your state.
    and even if it didn't you should do some research on carseat safety before you even attempt to put a child that small in a booster. I know that you only want to to what is best for your child. ...wait until she is AT LEAST 4.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• It depends on the weight restrictions of the type of booster your want to use. is the carseat your DD is in a rear facing one? Because your it will be safer for your 5 month old to stay rear facing.
    VegasMommiOf2

Answer by VegasMommiOf2 at 4:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Your child is tiny. The same size as my Rear Facing 15month old!
    Most states have the 4 and 40 law. And that is the minimum! Your child must also pass the 5-step test.

The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
    2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
    3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
    4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
    5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to make both the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash protection. Your child will be more comfortable, too!

For best protection, all children should ride in the back seat until they are ready to drive. It's twice as safe as the front seat.
    Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 5:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I think the general rule is like under 4yrs or under 40lbs requires a car seat.
    My dd is 2 and has a 5 pt. harness car seat for up to 100lbs. After I read an article a few years ago about a 3yr old that died while properly restrained in the recommended booster seat for his size, (seat belt failed) I decided that my toddler will be staying in the 5pt harness until she cries her way out of it in first grade at some point. :) I know it is a pain, but I think you would be better off with the 2 bigger car seats. You may want to invest in a car seat that will convert to the boosters later, that way you will have it for when it is time, and not have to spend even more money when the time comes. For those interested, http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/home/index.htm .
    BunniBunni

Answer by BunniBunni at 7:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• She is far too young for a booster. She needs to be at LEAST 4 years and 40 lbs to even think about it... AND most children are not mature enough to sit still in a booster and belts don't tend to fit right until they are closer to 5 or 6 years old... so you have a LONG time yet that she should be in a 5 point harness.... which is safest. besides that... your 2 year old is so tiny, she needs to be in a harness longer than other kids it seems... she is about the same size as my 14 month old!
    Your best bet is to get a seat like the Graco Nautilis... it should last you a lot longer... to harness your daughter until she is 65 lbs and then change to a high back booster and later a backless booster.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Honestly, boostering at this age is a death wish. The Cosco Scenera is $50 at Walmart... it will harness to 40lbs... rear face to 35lbs.. go get that for your new baby and leave your older BABY in the seat she is in now....
    **Bunnibunni- there is no seat on the market that harnesses to 100lbs.. re-read your manual to make sure you are using it correctly...
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Auntie Mom, yeah I was half awake when I typed that. It is actually harness up to 65 and booster up to 100. :p I know what I was thinking, but it came out differently than intended. lol
    BunniBunni

Answer by BunniBunni at 1:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• 4 years and 40 pounds is the bare minimum. honestly, putting a 2 year old in a booster seat, in the event that you did get in an accident, could very well kill her. please consider getting another harnessed seat. you can get them as cheap as $50.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Thank you all we are going to purchase another seat. I want her to be totally safe. I just have some friends with the same size and age children that have them in high back boosters (so that was my main reason for asking), I would never put my child in danger. I am going to keep here in a harness seat as long as possible.
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2009