When do you start counting the days when your period begins to figure out when your ovulating.

Ok, I was told that the day you start your period you start counting and 14 days later you should ovulate, if your cycle is normal, which mine is. Now do you start counting when you start spotting, or do you start counting when you actually start to bleed. I spot for 3 or 4 days before I really start.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I would start counting from the start of spotting.
    But there are other ways to tell if you are ovulating
    You should read Taking Charge of your Fertility. I've heard it's a really good book.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Definitely read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler, and check out www.fertilityfriend.com. Counting days is not a good way to know when you're ovulating (but the first day of your cycle is the first day of period flow, not just spotting). You probably ovulate 11-15 days before the start of your period, and you're most fertile for the 2-3 days prior to that. If you're very regular, then you can still count backwards from when you should start, but there's always the chance that you could ovulate earlier or later than normal, and then you'd miss it. Charting is the best way to go, that way you know for sure and can maximize your chances.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:32 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• just because your period starts regularly doesn't mean that you ovulate 14 days later. my periods are pretty regular but i ovulate on CD 13. some do on CD11, some on CD 17. just depends on the individual. so you might want to research other ways to tell. or just start having sex as soon as your period is over and do it every other day for 2 weeks :) good luck!
    Anonymous

• i usually spot a couple days before my cycle flow starts. my doc (the ob/gyn that delivered my son) told me to start counting the day i have to wear a pad (or tampon).
    i had almost 5 days of spotting before flow actually started this month...so i feel like i should have started counting earlier...
    baby dance from cycle day 9 to cd 21... you never know when you will ovulate.
    and it's usually about 9-16 days before your next period would start.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2009