Do you think a "special child" really needs special attention over his other siblings?

A SPED (Special Education) teacher friend who specializes in dealing with children with special needs mentioned about giving a selfless sacrifice for kids of this kind. My niece has a five year old special child and a two year old normal son. The normal son usually is being taken for granted as the special child gets more of the attention. Is this so?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in About CafeMom

• i do agree they do need more attention when it comes to taking care of them but as far as playing with them and showing loving attention no it shouldnt be anydifferent.
    mommyofbrayd473

Answer by mommyofbrayd473 at 2:43 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• They do need more attention. My older sister and younger brother are both special needs children. There were times when my needs got put to the side so that one of my siblings could have something they needed. I've never felt any resentment about it. I knew my mom still loved me and i always ended up getting what i needed, even if i had to wait.

"We all do the best we can with what we have". My mom, Nancy Shedd RIP
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I think within reason all kids should be treated equally. Its not the other siblings fault their brother or sister is in need of more. So, if you really do have to give more attention to the "special" child you should make up for it in other ways for the other. Like do some special outing or special time with the "regular" (sorry didnt know how else to say it) kid.
    Anonymous

• well most moms will show the special child more attention because they are special....
    if she is paying more attention to her other son w/out special needs than she is doing the right thing....in a way)))) but she should pay both the same attention!!!
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2009