Do you ever feel as though you are socially retarded?

Honestly. Sometimes I don't know what I say or do that makes people look at me as though I have a second head. I feel like I am an idiot. My husband assures me that I am not. But I have a hard time making friends and I don't like to go out in public a lot. Part of it is because I have a LOT of factual and book knowledge, and sometimes, I am a lot smarter then the person I am dealing with. But, I seem to have something missing in the "what to say, what not to say" part of my brain. Things I don't think are improper set people off. I can't think of examples, it is late. Usually it is because I am overly direct or pushy with my knowledge though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LOL I have the exact same problem! So, I have learned just to sit quietly and listen to everyone else and let them think I'm really shy. I'd rather have people think I'm shy than weird or pushy. I have a lot of book smarts, and was #5 as far as GPA of my high school class. Also, I don't stand down when people challenge something I KNOW to be true which is sometimes an issue. I have learned to just be quiet because sometimes I say things that I think are acceptable, but people look at me like they can't believe I just said it. My main issues are food safety and health, and for some reason people don't believe me when I tell them the things they are doing are unhealthy. I feel like if I don't say something though, then I am doing as much harm as they are. But I have learned to let it go because people will do what they want. I once told my friend she shouldn't thaw meat on the counter because of bacteria. She told me that she...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:22 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• had done it that way all her life and had never gotten sick, so therefore she would continue to thaw meats on the counter from 8am-6pm and would not believe that it could grow bacteria that fast. I only said something because she feeds it to a 1 year old and 3 year old, but once she said that I had to back down lol. She just thought I was being ridiculous. Anyway, there's my long drawn out answer lol!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I just stopped talking to people. I cut people out of my life. I can't stand ignorant people and people that don't try to learn. It angers me. (Really angers me.) So rather then have a social issue, I just stop talking to them. I don't want to offend them, but I also want to be true to myself.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Lol, well I am not as smart as you ladies but I do consider myself "self taught smart". I am not socially retarded for the simple fact that I am now surrounded by some of the dumbest people on earth....my friends and family. I tire of hearing them say HADEDED for the past tense of had. I hate that they refer to themselves as OBEAST rather then obese. My skin crawls when they say sangwich instead of sandwich and ideal rather then idea. They have no idea I feel this way because I don't bring up their bad grammar unless it is too funny to pass up. I feel awful for having typed this and this is only 10% of what they say that irks me. :(
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 3:41 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• no just anti social!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• For someone who claims to be so "smart", you really couldn't find a better word to use than retarded? Um, yeah, okay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I have a friend who talks about xmas 'ordiments' instead of ornaments. I have pointed it out to her twice, she looked at me like I was crazy and said she'd never heard it that way. She also says her baby daddy's cheques are being 'garinsheed' instead of garnished. It drives me crazy.
    I've found it's better to keep conversations with her very short.
    Six_on_my_own

Answer by Six_on_my_own at 7:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Retarded means slow or limited in emotional or intellectual progress. Did you not have a dictionary handy??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Oct. 6, 2009