Drug Interactions?

Do any of you know the drug interactions associated with St. John's Wort, Echinacea, Goldenseal, Ginko Biloba, Garlic pills or Valerian? If you don't know and you are taking any of these herbal supplements, you may be asking for a potentially deadly problem. Please, check out your herbal supplements for contraindicated interactions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Health

• What is wrong with Echinacea? My aunt just told me to start giving this to my kids to boost their immune system...
    MommyMerry7

Answer by MommyMerry7 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Echinacea in combination with aspirin or corticosteroid therapy can cause G.I. bleeding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Echineacea should not be taken more than 3 weeks on, one week off; too much can actually weaken the immune system.

You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read this:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?

According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 8:31 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children. Of 326 healthy children three to five years old, 104 were randomly assigned to receive placebo, 110 received _Lactobacillus acidophilus NCFM_ and 112 received a combination of _L acidophilus NCFM_ and _Bifidobacterium animalis subsp lactis Bi-07_. The children were treated twice daily for 6 months... Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328