Addiction

do you believe that addicts (alcoholics, drug addicts, ect.) choose to be so, or do you believe it's genetics?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Health

• I'm a big proponent of choice--- some people are predisposed to vulnerability, but they still make their own choices.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 8:29 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• both
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• This is a hard one....you are always making the choice to do what you want.....you just have to know how to handle it when the choice comes up.
    MommyMerry7

Answer by MommyMerry7 at 9:06 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• IMO>>>It is a choice. I come from a family of addicts. They all try to say that they are addicted to one substance or another because of genetics or because it is all they have ever known or been around., but I know better. Other family members, myself included, grew up in that environment, with the same genetics and have never been addicts. My parents are both addicts and I have no uses for drugs or drinking. Hubby's mother is an alcoholic and he does not drink. This is why I feel it is a choice.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• it is a disease

Answer by rkoloms at 8:28 AM on Oct. 6, 2009