If you want your child's education stripped of relgion...

Are you prepared for them to not learn the days of the week, months of the year, music history including most major compostions, art history, literature, science, sociology, geography, world history or social studies? Math gets pulled in once or twice, too. What exactly will your kids be learning? Are you prepared for them to be grossly uneducated compared to their peers who receive a comprehensive education? How will they survive college?

The whole reason NOT preaching in school is so important is precisely because religion is intimately intertwined with every school of knowledge whether you like it or not. It must be an option to teach it in a neutral manner, because without it, you cannot teach.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:30 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• As I just posted in the pp about religion in public schools.
    Religion has played large key rolls thru-out our world history. Almost everything you learn has had it's beginings traced back to someone/thing and or a religious theory/belief.
    By removing ALL religion from ALL aspects of a public school you are actually going to have to remove a lot of the things that children will learn.
    I think the big concern for most is not so much what is taught (history, science,etc...) that has a religious connection somewhere, but it's the idea that any-one type of religion NOT be taught in a public school. I am Wiccan and if a Wiccan teacher would to do a blessing or have all the children do one with her, I would be upset, bc I know that not ALL children believe as she. That goes for Christianity and other relgions.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:01 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Yeah.. this made absolutely no sense. Just thought I'd let ya know that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Are you saying that no religion in school means less educated? I'm sure that's totally wrong, as religion has nothing to do with education. If that is your PERSONAL belief, then fine. But there are also BRILLIANT atheists out there too. Brilliance has nothing to do with religion. Religion is a BELIEF.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• religion has nothing to do with education.

Really? How do you teach the history of music or art when the major compositions/paintings/sculptures for several centuries were commissioned either by churches or by monarchs who had strict standards about content, including making them sacred? How do you teach world history when practically every major war and invasion had a religious component? How do you teach the days and months when they are named after the gods of assorted religions? How do you teach why it took so long for astronomical discoveries to be accepted when they changed the center of the solar system from the earth to the sun? How do you explain why a fringe RELIGIOUS group flew planes into 2 major buildings less than 10 years ago?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• THeres a difference between teaching a child about beethoven or handel (sp?) and preaching to them or trying to convert theri familys religious beliefs. You can teach a child about world religions without indoctrinating them to it. I just dont watn someone preaching at my kids, they have enough to worry about without that. There is a difference between preaching and teaching,
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 9:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• But there are also BRILLIANT atheists out there too.

What does your PERSONAL belief have to do with understanding the history of your civilization and species? What your personal belief is has jack to do with history.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• There is a difference between preaching and teaching,

Did you even read the whole question?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:01 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• You are a Weirdo. I don't have a problem with my daughter learning religon in schools AS long as it is "fact" based AND she is taught about other religons as well. I think it would be great if she learned about Christianity, Buddisim, Hinduism, Pagan, Wiccan, Jewish. It's part of human history. But I don't want her to be PREACHED to in class, that's just wrong.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:27 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• But I don't want her to be PREACHED to in class, that's just wrong.

Another one who didn't read the whole question.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:30 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• obviously, no, they haven't read the whole ?.
    no, she's not a weirdo..she's just well-rounded, thought-out and doesn't have her head stuck in the proverbial sand when it comes to everything religion encompasses. nowhere did she say religious preaching/teaching should be taught.
    isn't anyone awake, yet?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:33 AM on Oct. 5, 2009