what does a clogged milk duct feel like and what can you do for it?

Thanks!

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your breast can be swollen ,hurts when you touch ,infected spot can be red . You can sometimes have fever, then it is time to see doctor. Warm compress ,massage are good.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Usually a lump or bump of some sort. If you are pumping, the milk could appear stringy. Warm compress before, and even while nursing, and if possible, nurse baby with their chin pointing at the clog. This can mean you are nursing in a really weird position, but it helps.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:41 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• A plugged duct is an area of the breast where milk flow is obstructed. A plugged duct usually comes on gradually and affects only one breast. It is hard lump in the vicinity of the plug that may feel tender, hot, swollen or look reddened. Occasionally it is only a localized area of tenderness or pain, without an obvious lump.

A plugged duct will typically feel more painful before a feeding and less tender afterward, and the plugged area will usually feel less lumpy or smaller after nursing. Nursing on the affected side may be painful, particularly at letdown. A low fever (less than 101.3) may be present.

Nurse frequently & empty the breasts thoroughly
    Use heat & gentle massage before nursing
    While nursing:
    Nurse on the affected breast first
    Use breast compressions
    Massage gently but firmly from the plugged area toward the nipple.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:54 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I had one when I was nursing my youngest, he was about a week and a half old, I think. It feels like a hard little lump and it is very painful. I called the hospital nursery for advice and they told me to nurse on that side first, pump if I could ( it hurt more to pump than to nurse) massage the lump and put warm compresses on it. By the afternoon, it was worked out. I had been dealing with it all night long and I called the nursery first thing that morning ( it was a Sunday so I couldn't get a hold of my LC) Keep a close eye on it and make sure that if your breast gets red, swollen, or feverish, you call the doctor because it could be mastitis.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• see your doctor. a clogged milk duct can lead to mastitis, which is painful and horrible. I had a clogged milk duct, and by mid moring, my breast was huge, bright red, and very painful. I went to the doctor. By noon, i had a high fever and couldn't even walk. My mom had to come and get me and the baby from the doctors.

For a clogged milk duct, massage, warm compress, and breastfeeding (and/or pumping) as often as possible.

If you do get mastitis, use the cabbage leaf home remedy for healing. It sounds weird, smells gross as hell, but really, truely does give the best, fastest and most natual form of healing. My women's doctor even recommended it, along with my lactation consultant. Freeze cabbage leaves and put them in your bar right over your breast. The cold feels good, and the cabbage "draws out" the mastitis. Also, breastfeeding as often as possible to reduce the milk and unclog the duct.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 11:32 AM on Oct. 5, 2009