I can not get my 4 month year old to take a binki or a bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We went thru 9-10 different bottles before we found one she would take...as for the paci,,,If they don't want one, I wouldn't force one so you don't have to break them from it later.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• It sounds like your baby only wants the best - you:) Some breastfed babys will never take a bottle or pacifier. You might try a cup or a straw.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 8:59 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My oldest would not either, ever. We tried every bottle ever made. She started drinking from a sippy cup with a straw at 5 months, but would never drink breastmilk from it. Somethings you can try though.

Have someone else give her a bottle, don't be in the same room or if possible in the house at all.

Don't try to give her a bottle when she is very hungry, she'll probable refuse it.

Try when she is sleepy but not crabby tired.

Good Luck!
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• This is normal. I am guessing that she is breast fed? Is there a reason you NEED her to take a bottle? Often times, breast fed babies will refuse a bottle from mom, or even if mom is in the house. Have you tried leaving, and seeing if she will take it from someone else? Personally, I feel that if you don't need to leave your baby, then there's no reason to go crazy trying to get her to take a bottle. I don't know your situation though. And don't force a paci on her, it's not needed. One less thing you have to break her of as she gets older.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:29 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Some babies just won't. My ds didn't care - he would nurse, he would take a bottle, and he had a pacifier. My dd wouldn't - no how, no way. She would only nurse, and she sucked her thumb. When she was around 1, I was able to get her to take a bottle occasionally, but by that point, we pretty much used a cup with her unless she was nursing, so...

Look at it this way, if your baby doesn't ever take a pacifier, then you don't have to worry about losing it or leaving it somewhere ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:57 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My son wont take a binki either. Im not worried about that. But he does take a bottle. Im not sure how you can get him to take it. My son took it right away because they used bottles in the NICU and he was in there for a week. good luck and by the way its a 4 month old not 4 month year old
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't worry too much about the binki. It is true you will only have to break them of it again and if they really need something they will find they have a thumb all too soon. As for a bottle we had to try different kinds before my little one was able to find one should could drink right from. You may also want to try different kinds of materials on the nipples (latex vs. silicon). Good luck to you.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 10:57 AM on Oct. 5, 2009