Is anyone going to get the swine flu shot for themselves or their children ?

I dont want to but I see it all the time on the news and I am getting worried especially for my kids

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'm pregnant and my children, my husband (who works in a high risk environment) and my children are definately NOT getting the swine flu vaccine or the regular flu vaccine. We never do. The media is big on scare tactics and I, personally, think its a load of crap. The swine flu is the flu--- if you are taking good care of yourself and family and able to recieve appropriate healthcare for your family if something bad does happen, theres no reason to get more shots.

Oh, and of course, wash your hands!
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:30 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• No. We don't get the "regular" flu vaccine, and won't get the H1N1 vaccine either.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I'm a pediatric nurse. I get the flu shot every year. I've been getting it for over 20 years. My son is 18 and will decide for himself. I'll take the H1N1 shot when it's ready for me too. I don't want to be the cause for any of "my" kids to get sick.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Nope, as a scientist I don't think they have had enough time to test the possible side effects of it.

Plus I have known several people with it and its no different then the regular flu.

(on a side note my mom is a nurse and she is working at a flu clinic this year, one of the nurses who is working with her is a woman who had been a medical lawyer in the city, got burnt out, moved waaaaaay out into the country and became a nurse and just works per deim and at the flu clinics etc. Anyways, this woman is always telling my mom all these cases she has had dealing with the bad side of effects of vaccines. I always laugh when my mom tells me coz this woman is GIVING the shots then in the next breath telling my mom how horrible they are. LOL like heres your shot honey! (under breath, if you need a lawyer afterwards I can get one for you, LOL) (that is not why I am not getting it, I just think its a hysterical situation)
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 10:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• But really I see it as a risk benefit thing. If I was (like the woman ahead of me) a pediatric nurse I would since the probability of the vaccine harming me is slim but if I got the flu the probability of it harming one of the kids (who would already be sick with lowered immunity) is very high. So in that case I would. I do that analysis of all of the vaccines I put into us. Whats the probability of a side effect and whats the risk of not getting the vaccine. (and so far I've done all the vaccines except the chicken pox one). So if I was in a situation where any type of flu could seriuosly harm me (or my son) I would get the vaccine and hope that the scientists developing it knew what they were doing : )
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 10:41 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• No. When my hubby got the flu shot this year a doc did it (rather than a nurse) and they got to talking about the swine flu shot. She said don't get it because it's still new, not yet proven effective enough to warrent it and very painful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• No flu shots for us. I'm not scared of us getting the flu.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:53 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I'm pregnant and have a 1 year old and 3 year old. All three of us are in the high risk category for potentially fatal complications from H1N1. We will all 3 be getting the vaccine, as will my husband in order to help protect us. At first I wasn't going to get it because my OB/Gyn wanted to do more research about it. She did the research and now says our whole family should get the vaccine.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Nope, no H1N1 vax for our family. It's too new and the pediatrician cautioned against it, too.
    Anonymous

• We are a happy and healthy 100% vaccine free home!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2009