Have you done research on Vaccines?

Right now I'm hoping to keep delaying some of the vaccines. Our doctor has no problem with that.

Our baby was vaccinated with the DT Acellular P (DTaP) and Polio at the same time. The vaccines caused some rash but nothing serious. The only thing is that I don't know which vaccine caused the rash. Our doctor said that both vaccines should not caused any reactions.
So now we are doing 1 vaccine at the time just in case.

The MMR was given at 14 months and we didn't see any reaction whatsoever. Good!

The HIB was given and the Pneumococal as well.

The vaccines pending are:
Hepatitis B
Varicella (Chickenpox)
Rotavirus

My question for moms is which of the above will you not give and why? and Are there any other vaccines that I should know about?

Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Hep A, flu

I won't give Hep B til he is a teenager because he shouldn't be having sex or getting tattoos as a baby or young child -- and I would HOPE he never uses IV drugs ..

And I won't give varicella because I think some things are not left up to immunity that should be -- teens are getting chicken pox nowadays because they had the varicella vaccination and it is wearing off or becoming ineffective. I'd rather he have it as a child than as a teenager.

I also will not give the flu shot because every time I've had a flu shot I've ended up with the flu, and every time I've forgone the flu shot I went without getting sick.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 9:54 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• OP here: I forgot to say that I have declined the "new" flu vaccine for my toddler. I hope that I'm making the right decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My kids had all the above when it was their schedualed time to get them, except the rotovirus one, that was available when my children were little
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:30 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• The influenza, hepatitis A and rotavirus vaccines were added to the vaccines schedule in 2004.

These days children could receive as many as 24 shots by 2 years of age and five shots in a single visit! OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Well my kids are 16 and 10 lol, they got the shots they needed when it was time.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• OP, rotateq is only offered to infants, so you can cross that one off your list :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I should have said that diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis vaccines are combined into a single shot (PTaP or DTP) one is acellular.

Still trying to figure out what "acellular" would mean? OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Krysta: Thanks! OP

Kryst...

OP, rotateq is only offered to infants, so you can cross that one off your list :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I knew what the DTaP meant. Diphtheria, Tetanus and A cellular Pertussis, but I can't remember for the life of me right now!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• " I knew what the DTaP meant. Diphtheria, Tetanus and A cellular Pertussis, but I can't remember for the life of me right now!"

Krysta: I think that this is one of the reasons that doctors don't take the time to explain every single thing about vaccines.

For the general public including my self understanding vaccines could get overwhelmed! OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Oct. 5, 2009